Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 19th December 2014

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Village church project series 2

The next set of five images.
[IMG][/IMG]

I'm not sure if this works, but I may try another way in due course. Through the(raqther large!!) keyhole.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I hope you find these interesting, and all comments / ideas / critique is welcome.
Old 19th December 2014

Liked 1,512 Times in 915 Posts
Re: Village church project series 2

I think it's good to have a project rather than snapping whatever you see next. Photography becomes boring otherwise. I like the commitment to this project of yours, this being series 2 of 'n'.

on flickr
Old 1st January 2015

Thanked 1,364 Times in 1,323 Posts
Liked 3,271 Times in 1,527 Posts

Hi Keith - maybe #2 would work better by shooting the keyhole as a separate image layered over the background.

The path leading to the gate in #4 is long and visually tedious.
The headstone is essential for context and a camera angle nearer the gate and to the right would have given your shot more impact.

All in all though the set gives a sense of a fine old church.
Old 2nd January 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
Hi Keith - maybe #2 would work better by shooting the keyhole as a separate image layered over the background.

The path leading to the gate in #4 is long and visually tedious.
The headstone is essential for context and a camera angle nearer the gate and to the right would have given your shot more impact.

All in all though the set gives a sense of a fine old church.
Thanks Mark
I think you were reading my mind over #2! Oddly, I did take #4 in pretty much the way you suggest; I'll shrink it and post it for comparison. There are actually two gates, and I felt a bit uncomfortable about it with both in the shot.

I can go down to the church anytime (if the weather is OK), so I can do as many retakes as I like!

Here's the other view of #4:
[IMG][/IMG]

My feeling was that it wasn't quite as dramatic.
Old 2nd January 2015

Thanked 1,364 Times in 1,323 Posts
Liked 3,271 Times in 1,527 Posts

That take works better for me Keith. Including the second gate gives more balance tp the composition..
Old 2nd January 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi there Keith!

I agree with Mark about the better composition of the image with both gates, however I do find the dog walker in the background distracting, perhaps requiring a reshoot. If you do reshoot, try to do it at a similar time of day as I think the long shadows help make the picture!

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 3rd January 2015

Thanks both. As it happens.....I didn't just take those two shots!

[IMG][/IMG]

But this is almost the same crop as with the dog walker, without the dog walker (if you see what I mean..)
[IMG][/IMG]

I like #1 of these; I'm inclined to think that it is more atmospheric, and also the aspect ratio and placement of the gates in the image is perhaps better, more balanced still. But maybe I'm wrong!! It does look a little too contrasty on here compared with #2, perhaps. But that's easily altered. I can crop the top a bit less; but there's bright sky top left then, and that looks distgracting.