Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 29th October 2012
Wolfey

What do you advise?

I am just moving from canon eos to Olympus E-M5. My interests are wildlife, birds and macro. I have only 1400 to spend,including the camera, what lenses should I buy? Don,'t want to makes costly mistake so any advice would be most welcome.
Old 29th October 2012

Liked 151 Times in 106 Posts
Re: What do you advise?

Buy a good 400mm lens for your Canon ... for the birds.
Buy an e-M5, e-pL5 or e-pM2 with kit zoom for the rest, then the Olympus 45mm lens, then more stuff like the 60mm-Macro ... then more stuff ...
Old 29th October 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,984 Times in 2,321 Posts
Liked 3,991 Times in 1,882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfey View Post
I am just moving from canon eos to Olympus E-M5. My interests are wildlife, birds and macro. I have only 1400 to spend,including the camera, what lenses should I buy? Don,'t want to makes costly mistake so any advice would be most welcome.
The E-M5 is a great camera but a total budget of 1400 won't buy many lenses. The standard 12-50mm kit zoom will cover most general photography, including near-macro and if you buy an E-M5 at the moment you get a 45mm f1.8 free. That leaves a long tele-zoom and you might have to add a little more to your budget to get a Panasonic 100-300mm, which by all accounts is a cracking lens. However, CAF on Micro Four Thirds, for birds in flight for example, is not yet as good as a DSLR, it has to be said.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 29th October 2012

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Hi Wolfey.
Firstly,remember that Olympus "kit" lenses are generally regarded as being of better optical quality and better value than those of other brands.The 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 "kit" lens which can be bought with the OMD E-M5 is IMHO no exception. Remember it's also weather/dust sealed to match the E-M5 body.

So, well within your budget you can get the E-M5 plus 12-50mm for 1,148.
But it's better than that.See the "sticky" thread at the top of the home page, up to the end of the year you can also get the beautiful 45mm f1.8 lens free by a cashback promotion. This is another great lens which performs much better than it's price would suggest.This would be a good starting point.

If your wildlife/nature photography extends to the "small" end of things the new 60mm f2.8 macro (also weatherproof) would be a useful addition down the line.

Of course there is a large range of lenses from other manufacturers including Panasonic. The Four Thirds Organisation have useful catalogue which details all the lenses designed for Micro Fourthirds here http://www.four-thirds.org/en/index.html

Regards.

Just seen what John posted while I was typing(slowly) and he says it more succinctly than me.
Also I have the Panasonic 100-300mm and I am very pleased with it. You will find examples of shots taken with all the lenses mentioned in my posts and gallery.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 30th October 2012
Wolfey

Thanks for your advice guys. I have been looking online - it's scary. There can be a huge difference in price for the same thing. I have seen the E-M5 from as little as 715 - 999 for the body only. I have decided to play safe and go to Jessops, get the body and the 75-300mm lens, then claim my free one. I will have to up my budget at their prices but I will have peace of mind. I'll just have to save up for the 60mm macro lens. I hope to get it this weekend and will post some pics as soon as I have any worth looking at.
Old 30th October 2012

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfey View Post
Thanks for your advice guys. I have been looking online - it's scary. There can be a huge difference in price for the same thing. I have seen the E-M5 from as little as 715 - 999 for the body only. I have decided to play safe and go to Jessops, get the body and the 75-300mm lens, then claim my free one. I will have to up my budget at their prices but I will have peace of mind. I'll just have to save up for the 60mm macro lens. I hope to get it this weekend and will post some pics as soon as I have any worth looking at.
Hi Wolfey.
The low prices you have seen are probably for "grey" imports usually from Hong Kong and will not have the Olympus Europe two year warranty and will not qualify for the Olympus UK lens offer.
Have you checked that the Jessops branch you plan to visit actually have the items in stock? Not all (many) of their branches stock Olympus and from what I have read those that do can be a bit hit and miss.
If you are prepared to buy without actually handling first there are two companies that most on here would recommend. Both have very good shops as well as on-line sales and are Olympus "Elite" dealerships.Both will give next day delivery and take telephone orders as well.

Park Cameras at Burgess Hill.
www.parkcameras.com

SRS Microsystems at Watford.
www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk

Hope this helps.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 30th October 2012
Wolfey

Thanks Peter, I have had a look at both sites and SRS are having a 'weekend special' and giving away freebies - must be my lucky day . They are also a bit cheaper than Jessops. Too far to travel to but if I decide to buy online it will probably be from them. Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (30th October 2012)