Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 6th December 2014
Floribunda

Hahndorf Barn

I thought I would give mono a go with this one - it probably needs more "oomph" but I am not sure how to go about it. Alf has given me hints before but the more I fiddle the more I lose vision of what I want it to look like.

But I preferred the touch of greenery in this one and the contrast of metal and wood colours.

Old 6th December 2014

Liked 181 Times in 99 Posts
Re: Hahndorf Barn

Like both images but I agree a little mid-tone boost would help. easiest way would be to add clarity or boost using curves
Old 6th December 2014

Liked 2,301 Times in 1,263 Posts

The composition seem to have lost its way. In the second version the hinge is to high, as is the main green foliage (also cut off by the frame) and the lower foliage competes for attention (and might best return to grey).

Harold
Old 7th December 2014
Floribunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Hartland View Post
Like both images but I agree a little mid-tone boost would help. easiest way would be to add clarity or boost using curves
Thanks Peter - I will have another look at it in curves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
The composition seem to have lost its way. In the second version the hinge is to high, as is the main green foliage (also cut off by the frame) and the lower foliage competes for attention (and might best return to grey).

Harold
Thanks Harold. I will reshoot this one as I can't get the hinge lower without seeing some of the roof which I don't want. I have always liked this old door and will enjoy giving it another shot.
Old 19th December 2014

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

May I make a suggestion, Lyn? Get yourself a copy of Topaz Clarity (plug-in to PS, Elements, PSP, etc.) Very good bit of software, and doesn't cost the earth.

https://www.topazlabs.com/clarity. 50 USD.

I would take a number of shots, and preferably, square-on to the building. Play with the crop, and see what works; then go back and do it properly. Your second shot doesn't need the foliage; but you could take that section of the building with the complete window and door - square -on - and see what's grungy enough to work. I don't think taking it at an angle, as you have, will really ever work. You may find a better view form one end or the other, too.

Hope that helps.

Keith
Old 19th December 2014
Floribunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
May I make a suggestion, Lyn? Get yourself a copy of Topaz Clarity (plug-in to PS, Elements, PSP, etc.) Very good bit of software, and doesn't cost the earth.

https://www.topazlabs.com/clarity. 50 USD.

I would take a number of shots, and preferably, square-on to the building. Play with the crop, and see what works; then go back and do it properly. Your second shot doesn't need the foliage; but you could take that section of the building with the complete window and door - square -on - and see what's grungy enough to work. I don't think taking it at an angle, as you have, will really ever work. You may find a better view form one end or the other, too.

Hope that helps.

Keith
Thank you Keith. I really like this old barn and will persevere with it and certainly try your suggestions.
Will check out Topaz too.
Old 19th December 2014

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floribunda View Post
Thank you Keith. I really like this old barn and will persevere with it and certainly try your suggestions.
Will check out Topaz too.
Have a look at the post I've just made: new thread "Ruin". Might give yu an idea!