Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 18th November 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question E3 F__ Error

I am new to the E3, having bought a second hand body back in July. I have an E400 so use the same lenses between cameras.

All was well until a few weeks ago, when I changed the lens on my E3. In a moment of absent mindedness, I forgot to turn the camera to off before removing the lens.

Since then, randomly, when I am taking a photo, I get the message of F__ where the F number should be shown, and the auto focus doesn't auto focus. I can switch it off & on again & then carry on taking pictures, everything then functions as normal.

I have changed batteries, also removed & refitted said lens, with the camera switched off, but am still getting the 'error code'.

Any ideas?

Turbogirlie (aka Kaz)

E-400
E-3
Scirocco MkII GTX
Kawasaki GPz550
Living on the Herefordshire/Shropshire/Welsh Borders & feeling very lucky to have such fantastic countryside on the doorstep!
Old 18th November 2012

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Re: E3 F__ Error

I haven't got an E-3 but these sort of errors can happen if you have dirty contacts between the lens and camera. Try giving these a clean.
Good luck
Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveJ For This Useful Post:
Turbogirlie (19th November 2012)
Old 18th November 2012

Liked 404 Times in 288 Posts
Re: E3 F__ Error

I do not think this is due to the removal without switch off but due to the faulty connection between the lens and the camera.

When you get the problem have you tried removing the lens and re inserting it with a firm grip to try and overcome the problem.

I had this problem with my E3 shortly after I received it. The camera was replaced by Olympus and I think that other people had this problem

First of all gently rub clean all the pins in the lens mount of the body, make sure that they all return to the extended position easily after pushing them in. If one or more are sticky then can cause the problem. Also clean the pads in the lens mount.

Also check that the locking pin in the body is working when you press the lens release button on the body. Several people had failures in this area when the cameras first came out.

I have read somewhere that you should check that the mounting plate on the camera is firmly attached to the body so check all the screws that hold the mounting ring to the body - do not force or damage the screw heads.

If this does not fix the problem and it only occurs on the E3 with the lenses and not on your other body then I think you will have to send it in for a service.
Turbogirlie (19th November 2012)

Tags
code, e-3, error, f__