View Single Post
Old 20th October 2018

Liked 196 Times in 126 Posts
Fish-eye and De-fish

I have a Meike 6.5mm fish-eye lens in MFT mount, which I use on my Olympus E-M1 Mk.ii. This lens has received very good reviews and at around 125 for a fast - f/2 aperture - ultra-wide lens, I believe it represents excellent value-for-money.

It has been criticised because, since it was originally designed for APS cameras, the top and bottom of the circular image are slightly clipped by the MFT frame. In practice, I have not found this to be a problem, since these areas tend to contain sky and feet, which can be 'dubbed' in with an editor.

Recently, I have been visiting several National Trust houses, which now allow photography, providing flash is not used. This presents a challenge, since light-levels are often low and it can be difficult to capture the overall look of small interior rooms. The Meike excels in both light-capturing ability, with good image quality, even at full aperture, and field of view.

I also use the 'PanoTools' 'remap' plug-in for Photoshop, which can do a good job of converting the circular image to a conventional rectilinear image, with what I consider to be remarkably good results. (PanoTools is a free suite of programs and libraries originally written by the German physics and mathematics professor Helmut Dersch.)

The following images show the results of 'de-fishing' one of my photos from Wadesdon Manor, using the PanoTools plug-in:

For comparison with a more conventional lens, the image below marks the area covered by my Olympus 9-18mm zoom, when used from the same location. as the Meike (de-fished).

Finally, an image that can only be made with a super-wide lens - this is the 'de-fished' view from the Meike, looking vertically upwards from inside the Dairy Court at Chastleton House:

Last edited by MikeOxon; 20th October 2018 at 03:30 PM. Reason: improved re-mapping
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (21st October 2018), Graham from Wirral (21st October 2018), Keith-369 (20th October 2018), MJ224 (20th October 2018), Otto (20th October 2018), wornish (22nd October 2018)