View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2018

Liked 708 Times in 475 Posts
Re: Editing Challenge No. 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
Then I switched the merge mode for the colour layer from normal (overlay) to screen. I don't know what this does (I'm still learning as well) but it gave it a much more translucent effect that I was happy with when I pushed the opacity back up nearer 100%.
Put simply, screen mode will generally lighten your image, overlay (which is NOT the same as Normal) will darken it.

The way I understand it is that in "normal" mode you just see the layer on top. You reduced opacity which enabled some detail from the layer(s) below to show through.

If we think of an image with just two layers, to preserve a little bit of sanity:

For the effect of "screen" mode, imagine that each of your layers is on a slide in its own projector, and they are pointing at the same screen. This means that the lighter parts of each layer will lighten the overall image.

For "overlay", imagine an overhead projector with each of your layers on a foil - and you put one foil on top of the other. Or if you prefer, jam your two slides together in the same mount. This is not quite the opposite of screen, but the effect is that the darker parts of each layer darken the overall.

Multiply mode can also be interesting, although probably not relevant here - it combines screen mode for the lighter bits and overlay for the darker bits, which has the effect of increasing contrast.

Hope this is clear and helpful .... John
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
OM USer (23rd January 2018)