View Single Post
Old 6th May 2019

Liked 1,305 Times in 346 Posts
Re: E-M1X Terrific Red Kite Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Clarke View Post
It would be interesting to know more about what territory red kites prefer. My family live in Milford on Sea, and I'm surprised not to see more red kites in the New Forest when I visit. There must be plenty of carrion and small critters as well as nesting sites. I suspect they like rolling hills like the Chilterns, where there's always a slope facing into wind so they soar effortlessly searching for snacks. This is probably more productive for them than circling up in thermals which they excel at, but rapidly get too high. Cruising along in ridge lift keeps them fairly low with minimal effort at the perfect height for spotting the next meal. There are hills in the New Forest, which is where they would prefer I'm guessing.
Hi,

Red Kites have a preference for semi-wooded hilly landscape with a mix of pasture land and wood patches. They feed mainly on carrion, rodents, worms will also do. Best opportunity to see them really close is to be at the right time when a meadow is being mowed, which usually takes place late May/early June a bit depending on the latitude.

My Gallery on 500px
The Following User Says Thank You to Tordan58 For This Useful Post:
Jim Ford (6th May 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (6th May 2019)