View Single Post
Old 28th January 2017

Liked 103 Times in 41 Posts
Beware Peak Design lookalikes.

Looking for a camera strap that I could easily change from a hand strap to a shoulder strap I found something on eBay that was exactly what I was looking for. The price was trivial, something like 12 for the shoulder strap plus the hand strap and 4 connectors. I did not know of PeakDesign products at the time but I now know it appears to be a copy of their product. I wondered why anyone would buy the much more expensive Peak Design product, but recently I found out. One end of the rarely used shoulder strap has split apart and will no longer support the camera. Amazon uk are selling a similar design for just a couple of pounds , but it is not by Peak design. See a couple of before and after images of my failed quick release connector.

My Olympus M1 and lens had a lucky escape.
I have already replaced this junk with the real thing but I am surprised that the Peak Design connector shows the same weak area as the copy. I just hope for the crazy high price for a few bits of plastic, that Peak Design use a better type of plastic than the failed item.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broken but not Peak Design.jpg (57.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Not Peak Design.jpg (65.6 KB, 42 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to KennyC For This Useful Post:
OM USer (28th January 2017)