View Single Post
Old 27th March 2013

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts
Re: E-420 converted to full spectrum

Hi there Falk!

The glass was quite expensive, but the quality is what you are paying for - the cheaper glass can have tiny bubbles in which will leave permenant spots on your images. The extra body isn't that much of an expense though - E-410 and 420 bodies seem to be going for about 70 on ebay every so often (mine was 60 because the eyecup was missing and the card cover won't stay shut - I had a spare eye-cup anyway and 2" of electrical tape sorted the door!)

The total cost of the project - 120. To put this into perspective the bodies on ebay that have been converted professionally in the states are around 300 plus postage and import taxes - making them well out of my price range.

The other option is renting from Ian on the forum - he has an IR converted E-PL1 available to hire. For me this was a more limited approach as it is a fixed wavelength conversion - with mine I have a little more flexibility, but if you aren't sure how much use you will get from a converted camera it may well be worth trying first for a few days before committing a large wedge of cash.

I'm glad you enjoyed the how to, and I hope it will inspire people to have a go, it's always easier to be brave when you have seen others have succeeded!

Happy tinkering,

Ralph.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph Harwood For This Useful Post:
Falk (29th March 2013)