View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2013
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Live debate on the evolution of photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
It's such a vast and diverse subject it's hard to know where to start.
As you often say "it's all about the light"... The rapid growth in LED technology may well provide a viable alternative to an increased range of lighting requirements that currently are the preserve of flash systems.

One thing I have often thought, has been overlooked is the function of a GN Lens. Often the simple adjustment of the aperture for different focal distances is easier to make than adjustments to power settings on the lighting. Yet this very simple function is, to my knowledge, not featured on modern cameras.

I often feel that manufacturers dictate the way we use a camera by virtue of the technology newly introduced, at the expence of features that are perhaps considered "Manual". One of my favorite metering systems was the "Multi-Spot" system (last seen on the Olympus C-8080WZ). It provided for excellent control of mixed and balanced lighting with the very simple sampling for lighting ratios, etc..

Simple "connectivity" enhancements should include WiFi links to control systems that turn off/on studio lights when the camera enters sleep mode and is then reactivated.

Of course, if you actually turn the camera off then the "Smart-kettle" is automatically switched on...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...