View Single Post
Old 13th January 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,439 Times in 2,105 Posts
Re: Guess the iso.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
Which raises an interesting question. Is it better to set the camera to, say, ISO 1600 and under-expose, or 3200 and over-expose with the same aperture and shutter speed?

John
In this situation I would be inclined to slightly over-expose at ISO 3200 and recover the highlights in pp, but there are limits - I wouldn't want to go much above ISO 6400 with the current sensors. It's not only noise that is an issue at high ISO but also loss of detail.

Also, it depends upon the scene. Small, relatively unimportant highlights can be allowed to burn out to protect darker areas from under-exposure but if the highlights coincide with the main subject it might be best to expose these correctly and allow the shadows to remain shadows, i.e. don't attempt to recover them in pp.

I know you are aware of this, John, but it's a great question to ask for the benefit of other members and visitors.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
DavyG (15th January 2019)