View Single Post
Old 21st December 2016
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts
Re: EM1 MKII Lock Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
We've probably multiplied by 100, or even 1000 the number of people using the camera now so it's not surprising if hard-to-find bugs manifest themselves more frequently.
Absolutely. Some things are incredibly hard to find in testing.

Many years ago I used to install and commission electronic telephone exchanges. We used to use large testers to generate millions of calls to try and simulate load conditions and odd combinations of calls, routes and the like. Yet in spite of that it was not unusual to get strange bugs appear, sometimes within minutes, of putting real customers onto the exchange. People do unexpected things and in the right combination of circumstances bugs appear.

Similar things happened later in my career when I dealt with pure software. No matter how much carefully planned testing you do when you try and predict all sorts of combinations of events, when real usage occurs its not uncommon to see bugs. It is frustrating for all and actually expensive for the company as cost of failure is typically twice that, at least, of getting it right first time.

Hec