Thread: Lancashire Day
View Single Post
Old 28th November 2010

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts
Lancashire Day

I decided to hop on the bus over to Nelson yesterday to meet up with my new-found friends from Nelson Brass Band as they played before and after the switching on of the Christmas lights.

There were celebrations throughout the day in Lancashire yesterday for "Lancashire Day" - on this day in 1295 the first elected representatives from Lancashire were called to Westminster by King Edward I to attend what later became known as "The Model Parliament".

The Lancashire Day proclamation is read out by town criers throughout the county on 27th November.

This town crier is also the local mayor, and what a thoroughly nice chap he was. Despite the cold, he was there from early in the morning until long after the switch on of the lights.

Whilst the band warmed up in a nice warm room, I stayed outside to soak up some of the atmosphere...

I wasn't the only one armed with a camera!

I wasn't the only one shivering with the effects of the cold either!

Gloves and hats were definitely a necessity as night fell...

These fingers were nearly blue with the cold!

...but still she was able to multi-task!

...one band member even left his pyjamas on!

...and a certain band member confessed to wearing his wife's tights!

As night fell we were treated to some street entertainment...

...and Nelson Brass proved a popular attraction as they played a selection of Christmas songs...

I only meant to stay for the Lancashire songs in the afternoon, but after a quick trip to the pub (I believe this is obligatory?) I decided to stay on for the carols and the switch-on of the lights.

I was thoroughly berated by Tracey for getting the bus over and not asking for a lift...I consider myself well and truly told off now!

I'm pleased to say that I'm getting a lot more confident now, and really enjoying my photography. The band are fabulous subjects, and a real pleasure to be with.

Oly is still not very good in low light, but I've got my new flash now, and if conditions aren't good, I simply shove it up to ISO1600 and hope for the best! Far better to get something than miss the moment altogether!

I had a few total disasters, but on the whole I'm rather pleased with the record of the day.

Janet

The Following User Says Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:
yorky (28th November 2010)