View Single Post
Old 27th July 2016

Liked 1,282 Times in 500 Posts
I might have gone over the top: Macro flash rig build!

So....

Having decided I want to improve my macro work, the next step was flash...

So I had bought myself an LED macro ring light, but results weren't great (but I bought a cheap "toe in the water trial" one) so next steps:

I want to be able to use flash for macro and flash for general use, so do I buy a ring flash AND a general flash?

So I started with the E-M1 and the supplied master module:

I had taken a step back and looked at every lens and accessory I owned and swapped out the tripod head for an Arca Swiss device, as well as putting a cheap ball head onto my monopod:

So the HLD7 gained an Arca Swiss plate:

Looking at Amazon and EBay I found that long Arca Swiss plates and tiny rig ball joints were available, so after a bit of measuring and sketching I bought a 200mm long Arca Swiss plate, two mini rig flash ball joints and two flash guns and used some of the supplied packaging as professional standard diffusers:

These all mount onto the Arca Swiss plate on the camera:

And by moving the tiny rig ball joints below the plate there's room for hands to get around the camera...

With it all being Arca Swiss it will also mount onto my tripod...

And because I'd started this odyssey I also Arca-Swissed up my macro focus plate so the whole thing takes seconds to assemble and disassemble...

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Hemlockwood (28th July 2016), Melaka (4th August 2016), OM USer (27th July 2016)