View Single Post
Old 25th February 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Yatesbury All Saints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Another nice collection of images, Nick.

However, I do wonder whether you are getting too good at this HDR trick, with the result that some of the images are now getting slightly flat.

This is not a criticism, but I do wonder whether it would be better to retain a little more 'dark' and 'shadow' in the images, so they look more realistic and 'church like'.

As it is, almost every detail can be seen clealry, and even pews, which are usually dark-ish wood (often Pitch Pine) look much lighter than the eye would ever see them. Even well lit churches are rarely this light.

As a point of interest, if anyone would like more details of the organs in churches, these can be found at The National Pipe Organ Register.

Edit: I also had a look at your website, which I found fascinating. You'll have to come up this way some time.

Right, must go and get my anorak.
Thanks Nigel

I do actually process in Photomatix to a slightly more flat image, then PP in The GIMP to create the final picture, adjusting levels etc. Next time I get a batch to process I'll keep the comments in mind. It's a difficult balance particularly if I am to retain some roof detail. But yes it does 'idealise' interiors to a degree - particularly in a darker church such as Yatesbury.

I do hope to take theChurchPhotographer on tour during 2010, once (if) we get some longer bright days. Just to leaven the mix of churches a bit.

Thanks for the comment on the website, I anticipate it will grow quite a bit in future months.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk