View Single Post
Old 26th October 2017

Liked 282 Times in 179 Posts
Re: No more blown highlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Which Portra are you using Simon?

I still have some Portra 160 NC and VC in the freezer, dated 2004 if I recall.

I haven't used Portra for a while but I wasn't that impressed when I last tried it.

I developed some myself, and found that the developer had a strong cyan colour when emptied out, to the point that I didn't want to risk using it again with other films. As expected, this resulted in a noticeable colour cast when scanned.

I also found it quite grainy, but I am willing to give it another go.

My favourite MF films are still Velvia and Provia, but I was impressed with some Kodak Ektar 100 when I tried some recently. Kodak used to make Ektar 25 negative film which was extremely contrasty, but if anything I prefer the Ektar 100.
Hi Nigel,

Firstly apologies for not replying sooner, I have been taking a break as of late. I have been using the newer Portra and mostly the 400ASA, the VC & NC options were discontinued and a 'one size fits all' version was released which is now called just 'Portra'. Its available in 160, 400 & 800ASA, IMO all are very good but 400 is the most useful. I find it a better film than the previous VC & NC versions.

Yes Ektar 100 is truly superb if exposed correctly ( little latitude for error ), I also shot Ektar 25 many years ago and in a controlled environment ( studio ) it was simply unbeatable.

I have 'a thing' for Cinestill at the moment, another film with a unique look especially when I use my Nikkor 58mm F1.4G .

Kind regards,
Simon
Naughty Nigel (26th October 2017)