View Single Post
Old 20th September 2018

Liked 3,012 Times in 1,624 Posts
Re: Panasonic 100-400

Here are some images:

Common Darter Dragonfly and Its Hunting Perch

Darter Dragonflies (Sympetrum spp) like to find a high (up to about 6 feet above the ground) perch from which to look for flying insect prey, and to which they return to eat their catch. Sometimes they have two or three such perches on a given day but, on this occasion, this male kept to one. That was bad news aesthetically, as this rusty tip of an iron rod does nothing for the images. I have cropped as much of that out as I think valid.

I was positioned with a wooden trellis frame between myself and the perch. This permitted me to rest the camera on the woodwork, as the cost of being about twice the ideal distance from the subject. So all of the images have been cropped but half or a little more.

In the second image the Darter has caught a small fly, typical prey.

In the sixth image it was curling its abdomen down and forward. It did this only once during about half an hour and I don't know the function of the contortion.

The takeoffs were to fast to even see in the viewfinder and the return flights still a bit too fast to get an in-flight one which was sharp.

Olympus EM-1 (Aperture Priority), Panasonic 100 - 400 mm Leica DG Vario-Elmar at 400mm at f8 (first two images) or f10, sunlight, hand-held.

Harold

See also my recent images of a rose bud, a Migrant Hawker Dragonfly and Ivy Bees.

Harold
Melaka (20th September 2018), MikeOxon (21st September 2018), MJ224 (20th September 2018), pault (20th September 2018), RobEW (20th September 2018), Ross the fiddler (20th September 2018), Thomas Westhead (11th November 2018)