Thread: Bags
View Single Post
Old 6th November 2018

Liked 1,597 Times in 1,018 Posts
Re: Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I have a Lowepro Nova 160AW which comfortably takes my E-M5 and 2 or 3 lenses. It has loads of pockets for filters, batteries, memory cards etc plus a handy (if difficult to fit) waterproof cover - hence the All Weather suffix. Recommended.
Don't trust the 'All Weather' description - it doesn't give protection for more than a few minutes in the lightest shower!

I carried an Olympus E500 in a Lowepro Nova AW whilst backpacking in Scotland. It started to rain, so I put on the cover. When I got to my destination I found an inch of water in the bottom of the bag. Fortunately I'd put my wallet in the bottom of the bag and the E500 was sitting on top of it, giving some protection.

The problem is that the cover only covers the front and sides of the bag, not the back. With the bag in the normal carrying position the unprotected back rests against the body. When wearing a rainproof jacket, the rain runs down the jacket and soaks into the back.

My wallet was well and truly soaked through. Not much water had entered the camera and luckily it was OK when it had dried out.

Use an Ortlieb bag if you want proper weatherproof protection.

Jim
The Following Users Liked This Post:
chris (6th November 2018), Jax (6th November 2018)