View Single Post
Old 28th September 2018

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,949 Times in 1,938 Posts
Re: Nothing new from Olympus at Photokina, but...

I think that noise and DR are the battlegrounds. I'm delighted with the output from my Oly gear most of the time, but nearly everything I shoot is at ISO 200. I know that once ISO climbs then I can't afford to be too critical or go pixel peeking. For some types of photography this doesn't cut it if you're after the best results (e.g. wildlife).

For me it's the DR that's the thing I'd most like to see improved. I shoot a lot of landscapes and for that you can never have too much DR. I very often shoot a 5-shot bracketed sequence (usually with the electronic shutter) and stack later. This is very effective for many shots, but it's got its limitations - e.g. on long exposures, when there's subject movement or where there's some other effect needed such as focus stacking (and yes, I've used focus stacking for landscape!). It's also more long-winded in post processing.

So, I'd be delighted if Oly has something up their sleeve next year that would improve noise and DR. I don't need more Mp - just more DR and improved higher ISO performance.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bruce Clarke (30th September 2018), MJ224 (28th September 2018), RobEW (30th September 2018), Ross the fiddler (28th September 2018)