View Single Post
Old 19th August 2018

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts
Re: Best lens for couple portraits?

The PanLeica 25mm f1.4 IS an excellent lens and I owned one for a few years till I sold it recently as part of my 'lens downcluttering'. Having 2 bodies, EM5II & Pen-F, I mistakenly tried to have individual lenses for each. Part of this arrangement was that I used the Sigma 30mm with the EM5II and the PanLeica 25mm with the Pen-F. In practice however, I found this an unnecessary luxury and so sold off several lenses to avoid duplication. When it came to the choice between Sigma 30mm f1.4 and PanLeica 25mm f1.4, I decided to keep the former and sell the latter for the following reasons.

The PanLeica 25mm is really a 'general purpose' lens and I since I already own and use the Olympus 17mm f1.8 for general use, having 2 such lenses was not necessary. I found that the 17mm offered more flexibility in general use.

Although the Sigma 30mm is only 5mm longer than the PanLeica, that difference plus its 9 diaphragm blades (as opposed to 7 in the PanLeica) made it more suitable as a short portrait lens, especially for couple subjects. It still retained some general purpose use at the same time.