Thread: Agfa Vista 200
View Single Post
Old 12th July 2018

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: Agfa Vista 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
That is very interesting Steve, although it soon becomes clear that many of the emulsions listed are in fact manufactured by third parties, so the total number of 'different' films made will actually be much lower. All the same there is clearly much more life in film than many of us had feared.

I suppose the question is, how many films do we actually 'need', (I currently use five, or maybe six from three different manufacturers), and what is a healthy number for the industry?

I didn't realise until a few days ago that 'Kodak' (as in the amazing Kodak Ektra 100) is actually a new and different company to the ailing behemoth Eastman Kodak, that has presumably acquired intellectual property rights from the old company. I don't know whether the new company actually manufactures films themselves (I had heard that a lot of production was contracted out to third parties), but they seem keen to resurrect the best of the old firm's products.

However, I doubt that we will ever see Kodakchrome 25 again.
It does appear that the number of films available is smaller than the headline figure. It's encouraging, though, that some can make a business by doing so.

A while back Petapixel posted a video of film being made in Kodak's Rochester plant (much done in darkness obviously so no photos) here's a link if you missed it originally: https://petapixel.com/2018/04/09/thi...-film-is-made/
I'm eagerly awaiting the re-launch of Ektachrome, like many. Kodak announced their intention a year or so ago with great excitement from the photographic community. However the projected release dates have come and gone, until I read within the last week or so that ag photographic (agphoto) are processing a trial batch, so hopefully it won't be too long before the film is released in sufficient quantity to meet the inevitable high demand.
I mostly use Ilford for B&W and Kodak for colour, but my appetite for alternatives is growing, eg Washi, Berger Panchromatic (a two emulsion film composed of silver bromide and silver iodide, differing in grain size, the synergy of which provides a wider exposure latitude) and Fomapan which is supposed to have an inferior anti-halation to induce 'glow'. I can't think of a parallel to analogue where you can change the imaging sensor as often as you wish without having to change the camera body.

on flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
angelpaaul (12th July 2018), Naughty Nigel (13th July 2018)