View Single Post
Old 15th March 2017

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts
Re: Generating new interest in photo challenges

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
OK - ADMINISTRATORS/MODERATORS - whatever. You surely must address the pitiful response to the question. Look at other sites and see that many have a healthy response to the 'weekly/monthly' completions they run. There is a big number of snappers who are Members or just are looking at THIS site. Any ideas?????
I'm sorry but I have to take issue with you.

There is not a "pitiful response". The response, or lack of one reflects the interests of the active membership. Comparison with "other sites" is meaningless.This is a probably a "niche" site as it is a brand specific User Group not a general photography site although all interests are catered for in the range of boards available.

Looking (a few minutes ago) at the site statistics at the bottom of the "Forum Index" will show this quite clearly.

Total Members (meaningless as it is only the number of people who have signed up since the site started in 2007) 4,135.

Active Members. 352.

Members signed in today. 166

Number of threads in non equipment related boards.

Photo Fair 18,923

Looking For Improvement 1,856

Chalenges 310

I'm with Ricoh in not regarding photography as a competitive activity. It's my hobby for relaxation and escape from the increasingly competitive world in which we live. There are no "rules" for what makes a "good" photo it is a matter of what you find attractive, interesting, amusing etc. ie. it's subjective.

On the other hand photos shared in Photo Fair provide the opportunity to see what others are producing and learn from their work and technique or see results to aspire to without having to get into being "competitive" or "challenged".

From the statistics above I perceive that a majority have similar views. I don't have any objection to the group having competitions/challenges, just not something that interests me.

Just my thoughts.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Barr1e (16th March 2017)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Barr1e (16th March 2017), pault (16th March 2017), Ricoh (16th March 2017), The Technician (16th March 2017)