View Single Post
Old 31st July 2016

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Re: Audio Hiss EM-5 MK2 - Gain control?

I'm sorry I forgot to update this. I've been so busy leaving full time work to go freelance.

The in-camera hiss is all about the microphone to subject distance. The further away the subject, the more "gain" any mic needs to record a decent volume.

In-camera and camera-mounted microphones will be too far from the source, and so you'll always get "gain" noise unless you are recording relatively 'full' ambient noise. This is why all professional recording people use microphones close to the source - as close to the mouth as possible; using either boom or lapel mics.

A quick look on the internet will give you the different types of microphone and what they are good at.

For my part, cheap lapel mics from China were good enough - I plugged them into mobile phones and "clapped" for a sound mark to sync later. I also put the Rode mic on a boom, and the problem went away. Any gaps in speaking and the resultant minor gain hiss, with the cheap lapel mics, were removed by the software with ease.

I've only played around to get it right, and not produced a video yet, but the problem is down to quality/position of the mic, and unless you are a professional, "quality" is subjective. I wouldn't buy high-end gear unless I needed broadcast quality.

David.
If you think education's expensive, try ignorance.