View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2018
Stock Shooter

Liked 54 Times in 32 Posts
Re: Win 10 update problem - Help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
I'm appalled by the poor quality of software sold to the public (and I say this as someone who spent many years working in software development). Expecting the user to spend 4.5 hours mending it is shocking. There is a very easy fix to all Windows problems. Get legislation in place so that Microsoft have to recall and fix any computers in which their software fails, and recompense the users too (just as a car manufacturer would if their gear boxes had a fault). even better, fine Bill Gates and take a day off the holiday allowance of all Microsoft senior execs for every fault affecting 1,000 or more users. Very quickly we'd have much more reliable software.
I think you are being a bit harsh on Microsoft here. Their operating system has to work with a very large number of different manufacturers computers, and thousands of software applications. There is continuous development in the industry that requires new features to be added, not to mention all the malicious attacks that have to be countered.

I had a failure in an update meant to counter one of these security threats. I worked for over 40 years as a Chartered Engineer, so I have a realistic view that failures happen and have to be dealt with.

In early life of the computer, in a warranty period, it is reasonable that the supplier should repair it if something goes wrong.

I bought my present PC six years ago. The label on the front of it boasts that it has Windows 7. I have installed every system upgrade that has come out since then, and I think this is the only time I needed to ask for any help.

Of course, during the upgrade, I checked now and again that it was continuing. But I did not have to intervene at all during the installation process, only to spend about 5 minutes at the end to select which new feature options I wanted to select.

Microsoft dealt with my 6 year old computer and did it well.

I have a friend in the USA, a like minded stock photographer. He recently bought a new 13" Apple MacBookPro, and while he set out to install Adobe CC, the Mac told him it needed to update the Operating System. He did, but it took 6 hours.

Bill Gates did indeed make a lot of money, but seems to me to be spending it on very good Charitable causes.

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses
The Following User Says Thank You to Pjphoto59 For This Useful Post:
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Crazy Dave (2nd June 2018), drmarkf (2nd June 2018), Johnheatingman (2nd June 2018)