Thread: Gliding
View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2018

Thanked 1,050 Times in 799 Posts
Liked 4,748 Times in 1,546 Posts
Re: Gliding

I flew gliders for over 20 years of my life and was a member at Gransden Lodge (Cambridge Gliding Club). I also used to live in Great Gransden.

I instructed too for about 10 years. So - here are my thoughts...

- There's not a great deal of room in the front of a glider. Whilst an E-M1 plus 12-100 certainly will physically fit, IMHO it's too big. There won't be anywhere to stow it so you'll have to hold on to it and that means you won't get a chance to fly the gilder - which is really the most important thing.

- You'll be shooting though perspex and chances are it will not be as clean as it could be and there will be a lot of internal reflections, so getting high quality shots won't be on the agenda.

- If it's your first time in a glider then you'll probably be into sensory overload so it's unlikely you'll have the presence of mind to take nicely composed shots. There'll also be things in the cockpit that get in the way and of course the glider will be a moving platform.

So in summary - your trial lesson is not going to be the ideal environment for photography! IMHO - take a compact, or even your phone and enjoy the flying experience instead.

Finally - to appreciate gliding photography fully - check out the work of the late Neil Stuart Lawson:

http://www.whiteplanes.com

BTW - this used to be my glider (but I wasn't flying it - my syndicate partner was):

Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (28th July 2018), griffljg (24th July 2018), Ian (24th July 2018), MJ224 (23rd July 2018)