View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2018

Liked 1,985 Times in 1,324 Posts
Re: The Minefield of Energy Providers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Nigel, first thing to do is give us your annual consumption figures for both gas and electric. If you donít have them then you need to look at some old bills for an actual reading figure, not an estimated one. With that figure you can easily work out what you will pay. I confess to taking daily gas and electric readings and monthly water meter ones. Having solar panels helps too as it gave me the impetus to take control of usage.
Thanks Tim. I have all the information to hand including my annual consumption, present unit costs and standing charges, but it seems many of the providers want to sell you an attractive looking estimate based on an 'average' house in your postcode area.

You have to look harder to find what these figures are based on, whilst unit costs and standing charges seem to be absent. In most cases they like to use unrealistically low consumption figures to make it look as if you will be saving a lot of money, but if you chose the wrong tariff they will charge an exit fee.

Just to muddy the waters further some providers try to bundle boiler breakdown cover, but if you look at the T's & C's it would be cheaper to get you own plumber.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing