View Single Post
Old 1st July 2018

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts
Re: ISO 3200 from Kodak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Film is definitely alive with a strong pulse, but I doubt it will ever achieve the pre yr 2k levels ever again......
That is my interpretation too. Black and white in particular seems to be very popular at the moment, especially amongst medium format users; although having seen some of their subject matters I think many of them have a lot to learn about the medium.

The use of coloured filters with B&W also seems to be a lost art. When I mentioned this on one forum I was told that there is no need to use filters any more [with B&W film] as it can all be done in Photoshop.

Clearly they know something that I don't.

There is a plentiful supply of B&W films at the moment from several manufacturers, which is healthy. However, I am a little concerned about colour because it seems that Fuji has already pulled the plug on film production, (both colour and B&W), which if true means that Kodak is the only major player left producing colour films.

As I understand the situation Kodak farms out its film production to outside contractors, so they don't have a lot of capital tied up in film. I could be wrong but it looks to me that the long term future for colour film is extremely venerable.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing