Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Looking for improvement (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Water fun (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35983)

Chevvyf1 1st January 2015 08:17 PM

Water fun

Ok finally got CO Pro 8 working on my laptop. But I am very rusty tstl :rolleyes:

I would appreciate any ideas about processing this image. I hate the background, but it was "catch it or lose it, snapshot" :( I have even thought about "taking her out" :(

OM-D EM-1/ Lens Zuiko 45mm F 1.8A Priority ; F3.5 ; ISO 200 ; 1/500 sec ; +1.0 EV ; Fl 45mm ; WB Auto ; Flash off ; picture mode Natural ;

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/5..._corel_sme.jpg

pandora 1st January 2015 08:32 PM

Re: Water fun

It's a drop-dead-gorgeous portrait Chevvy. I know it was a 'get it or forget it' moment only I bet you wish you'd captured a little more headroom.
I'm giving it 9.5/10 :tup

+ I'm no expert on processing this type of image, so I'll be a wise monkey and keep it shut for once!

Chevvyf1 1st January 2015 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandora (Post 324573)
It's a drop-dead-gorgeous portrait Chevvy. I know it was a 'get it or forget it' moment only I bet you wish you'd captured a little more headroom.
I'm giving it 9.5/10 :tup

Mark I cropped the headline (as a red Minnie Mouse Disney Potty was behind her head on the shelf ...) it could not have been worse for a backdrop :(

Serious Questions ?

Do you think it is sharp enough ? or too soft ? and

Do you think I should up the Contrast ?

Phill D 1st January 2015 08:38 PM

10 out of 10 for your reactions from me, it's a brilliant catch Chevvy well done. Maybe Paul can give you some hints on processing.

pandora 1st January 2015 08:53 PM

To me it is neither too sharp or too soft and the contrast is just right.

Aside from which the magic water effect is bewildering! ???

Chevvyf1 1st January 2015 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phill D (Post 324576)
10 out of 10 for your reactions from me, it's a brilliant catch Chevvy well done. Maybe Paul can give you some hints on processing.

Phill, thanks :D maybe if Paul is about here :)

Chevvyf1 1st January 2015 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandora (Post 324578)
To me it is neither too sharp or too soft and the contrast is just right.

Aside from which the magic water effect is bewildering! ???

Mark, we had this little lass this special day and only her, we had just had lunch outdoors and she started to play with the two water fountains. I captured a few of her age 2 "learning the physics of water ; and trajectory schema" this being one of three :)

ps If I could ever have replicated her facial expressions in the one off first time experience, with a better backdrop I would :)

Simon Bee 1st January 2015 09:41 PM

Chevvy,

What is there to doubt, honestly given the 'split second' nature of the capture it's great. OK it would have been ideal if the background was more plain or more out of focus but I don't find it distracting, my eyes are instantly drawn towards her face and then her hands, never the background. It's a wonderfully charming image of an 'age of innocence' and better to have it 'as it is' than to have missed the moment ;)

Sharpness is fine too, I'm not one for overly sharp portraits unless the subjects face has at least eighty years worth of 'stories to tell'

Honestly, it's charming.

Regards, Simon

Greytop 1st January 2015 10:20 PM

A stunning shot Chevvy.

Sharpness looks fine to me.
If anything I would back off contrast/clarity a very little in CO8 to add to the dreamy quality of the image.

Wee man 1st January 2015 11:10 PM

Nice shot well taken.

Chevvyf1 2nd January 2015 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Bee (Post 324590)
Chevvy,

... not one for overly sharp portraits unless the subjects face has at least eighty years worth of 'stories to tell'

Honestly, it's charming.

Regards, Simon

Simon, Thanks and what a truly lovely "definition" ... I will hold on to this " ... years of 'stories to tell' :D *chr

Chevvyf1 2nd January 2015 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greytop (Post 324595)
A stunning shot Chevvy.

Sharpness looks fine to me.
If anything I would back off contrast/clarity a very little in CO8 to add to the dreamy quality of the image.

Huw, thanks :D I shall try this tonight, good idea *chr