Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Looking for improvement (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Model shoot on Brighton Beach bandstand (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20811)

Ian 31st May 2012 10:37 AM

Model shoot on Brighton Beach bandstand

I'm a bit frustrated that I have had next to no feedback to the shots I have posted on the What Digital Camera event in Brighton thread here over the last few days:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20372

I have had quite a good response on FTU and DPNow. So maybe it's because nobody is interested in looking at an old thread. So I have started a new one here with some more from Brighton. Here is the starter:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/511/P5260386.jpg

Comments welcome!

Ian

theMusicMan 31st May 2012 10:50 AM

Re: Model shoot on Brighton Beach bandstand

Ok, you're after some more feedback on your Brighton pics yes :)

As this is in LFP...

I like the contrast in this image as it appears on the inanimate objects in the frame - but I feel the contrast on the lady is a tad harsh and doesn't do her justice. I love contrast on the male form and face (as per my recent Bill Gordon portrait), but for the fairer sex I much prefer the 'model' look for shots of models! I guess in this shot she's a little small in the frame for that though - and after all, it is all very subjective!

I do though, find the pillar on the bannister rail somewhat distracting.

StephenL 31st May 2012 11:04 AM

I like the pose, and lighting, of the model but am distracted by the ornateness of the bandstand, especially as the model's dress is flowery.

For me, a tighter crop would improve things no end.

Ian 31st May 2012 11:22 AM

I think we'll have to disagree on that one - the subject is really the setting of the bandstand. The model is almost incidental - at least for me :)

Ian

Ian 31st May 2012 11:35 AM

I think the tone is a bit muddy - again, too much mid-tone grey. I wonder if making this high key will work?

Ian

StephenL 31st May 2012 11:53 AM

I'd like to see the colour version - just for interest.

Bearing in mind that the object of the exercise was the model AND the location, then I think it works quite well. However, I do have an issue with the one dark board in the roof of the bandstand - it's distracting.

Ross the fiddler 31st May 2012 12:36 PM

For myself, the model & the ornate features are the most important to me. If you had got down lower for a longer shot of the lovely model, then it would add better balance with more leg & not just that little bit in this photo as well as not showing the seats. For this photo, I would crop at the railing to take out the distracting seats & railing & also the short bit of legs, that (to me) is not enough to look good, but unfortunately, the hand would be cropped off, but would then just be her looking pretty in her pretty dress against the ornate roof structure.

Well, that's my suggestion. *ohwell

Edit: On second thoughts, the other way that would improve it for me & leave the seating in, is to crop a little off the top (from 600 X 800 to 600 X 690).

BobS 31st May 2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 168812)
I think we'll have to disagree on that one - the subject is really the setting of the bandstand. The model is almost incidental - at least for me :)

Ian

In which case, Ian, why is the title of this thread called "A model shoot etc." My eyes went everywhere and settled on the model last. And this is not because, in my most advanced years, I cannot recognise a very attractive girl when I see one!

This is the first time I have ventured to comment on a photo posted in Looking for perfection so I am prepared to be shot down for being stupid! :D

Ian 31st May 2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobS (Post 168834)
In which case, Ian, why is the title of this thread called "A model shoot etc." My eyes went everywhere and settled on the model last. And this is not because, in my most advanced years, I cannot recognise a very attractive girl when I see one!

This is the first time I have ventured to comment on a photo posted in Looking for perfection so I am prepared to be shot down for being stupid! :D

Bob, I think I was desperate to get someone to look - the word 'model' normally does the trick :D

In all seriousness - we were photographing two models, but the bandstand is very impressive in its own right.

Ian

BobS 31st May 2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 168838)
Bob, I think I was desperate to get someone to look - the word 'model' normally does the trick :D

In all seriousness - we were photographing two models, but the bandstand is very impressive in its own right.

Ian

It is. How about letting us see it in colour?

Daveart 31st May 2012 02:27 PM

Hi Ian looking from the artist in me, and IMO the model is a very attractive lady.
The bandstand looks a very interesting architural structure and I can see what you are trying to do, I would have moved round to put the young lady to the right as she is looking to the left so putting the bandstand to the left and showing more of the bandstand, so that she is looking into the bandstand to direct the viewer into the bandstand. Rather than looking out of the picture making the viewer look away and out of the picture.

From the Tonal aspect of the image I think that it is about right for the this sort of shot.

Dave

pault 31st May 2012 02:58 PM

Hi Ian. I agree with Dave, that ideally, the model would have been better positioned had she been over to the right of the picture and looking in.
But given this is the picture we have, I would suggest removing the black part of the column in the top left corner by cropping the picture. Also, I would suggest there is too much "white" area over to the right side. Here, I would suggest cropping over to the right column so that the crop runs down part of the column, this would frame the picture keeping the viewer looking into picture and wondering off out to the right.
I would add I am no expert, just an amateur, and making hopefully constructive comments.
Regards
Pault

Barr1e 31st May 2012 04:50 PM

Frustrated Ian - I have been bl**dy frustrated on most of my posts on the three sites recently. :mad:

I thought an absence of a few weeks would be time to post once again.

It seems I might be wrong. :confused:

An over posted Barr1e

Regards.

theMusicMan 31st May 2012 05:02 PM

Guys - why the frustration...? I am a bit surprised to read this. Most people love looking at pictures, and may not want to reply or comment. I don't think there's a specific reason people don't post comments or reply... it's a combination of timing issues, people having time to comment etc and nothing to do with your images.

Yes of course, it's always lovely to receive comments on ones images/blogs/threads/fb/twitter etc... but to get frustrated when one doesn't, well it's just not necessary... no need to put yourself through that.

Zuiko 31st May 2012 05:37 PM

I try to comment on as many as possible but as the site grows and becomes ever busier that becomes more difficult. Peversely, I'm more inclined to visit a thread on landscapes or architecture than models, not because I don't still enjoy a pretty girl but that's not a genre of photography on which I feel qualified to comment. It was the bandstand part of the title that caught my eye for this thread!

Having said that, I think the basic composition is good and I agree that B&W is a good choice. I don't agree with Ross about not enough leg but I do agree with Stephen abot that dark panel in the roof. Ideally for this shot I would have the model wear a plain rather than a patterned top but of course you did not have the luxury of pre-planning this! I would, however, have asked her to look right rather than left. :)