Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   E-M5 Mark II seminar in Prague (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36445)

Ian 9th February 2015 11:06 AM

E-M5 Mark II seminar in Prague

Morning all, well, just past midday local time here in Prague, the Czech Republic. I'm here with a contingent of UK press and Olympus Ambassadors (cool professional photographers who use Olympus kit), to learn about the new OM-D E-M5 Mark II.

There is still time to ask questions that I can hopefully get answers for you on your behalf; just post them here :)

Ian

DavyG 9th February 2015 11:17 AM

Re: E-M5 Mark II seminar in Prague

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 330105)
Morning all, well, just past midday local time here in Prague, the Czech Republic. I'm here with a contingent of UK press and Olympus Ambassadors (cool professional photographers who use Olympus kit), to learn about the new OM-D E-M5 Mark II.

There is still time to ask questions that I can hopefully get answers for you on your behalf; just post them here :)

Ian

Whilst not directly related to the E-M5 MK II, I'd be interested in hearing about release dates for the 300mm prime and any info relating to a potential E-M1 replacement.

Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated Ian.

Dave

Ian 9th February 2015 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavyG (Post 330106)
Whilst not directly related to the E-M5 MK II, I'd be interested in hearing about release dates for the 300mm prime and any info relating to a potential E-M1 replacement.

Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated Ian.

Dave

I wouldn't bet on getting any meaningful answers but you never know.

Ian

snaarman 9th February 2015 11:36 AM

Mmm. Lovely 40Mb test pictures?

:-)

Pete

Graham_of_Rainham 9th February 2015 12:18 PM

I'd be interested to know how "static" everything has to be in real world situations to get a good 40MB image.

Thanks

Wee man 9th February 2015 01:03 PM

Again maybe on your list will the new flash work on any other Olympus cameras

Ricoh 9th February 2015 01:27 PM

Can you please enquire whether Olympus have improved the dials; there have been too many instances of dials not responding (I've had this myself) and dials falling off. It would be disappointing if Olympus had not done a "lessons learnt" exercise.
If the answer indicates an improvement, could you ask what they've done to improve the reliability.
What market segment is it aimed at, if serious amateur/or semi professional, reliability is very important.

snaarman 9th February 2015 01:44 PM

A suggestion from elsewhere on the forum, and from my own experience.

Backup your camera setup to your PC.

Better than this though. We just bought a mega complicated digital audio mixer. Stupidly complicated. But: They supply a PC app the emulates the mixer interface, so you can tweak your set up off line, then install it on the mixer.

So, an off line Olympus menu fiddling app that lets you get things just so, and then you load it to the camera down USB or off card.

Pete

art frames 9th February 2015 05:49 PM

Can you ask if the em1 will be getting 24 frame rate added to the video in the upcoming update. It seems daft too me not to. But they have avoided the issue for some time.

I want to update my em5. I shoot video and also have a nice range of 4/3 lenses so I have been waiting for some time for Olympus to fix either the em5 or em1.

The absence of phase detection (although predictable) in the em5m2 is a major issue for me. But not having a european framerate which will work properly with my video camera footage when I edit means I won't buy an em1 either.

So the simple answer is add 24 and 25fps to the em1. But will they do it?

thanks

Peter

OM USer 9th February 2015 05:52 PM

Why is there an extra pin on the hotshoe? What is the extra function this controls and/or what is the missing function on the MK1 or other flashguns.
Thanks.

Edit: just occured to me - is it a power pin as the Mk1 clip on flash used the accessory port and could get power from here (and the Mk2 clip on flash can't) and the larger flashguns have batteries.

Invicta 9th February 2015 05:57 PM

Hi Ian,

If it is not too late can you ask Olympus what the plans are for a replace for the MAL-1 twin arm macro light that uses the accessory port?

Will we be able to trade in the old MAL-1 for a rebate of some kind?

Many thanks

Ian 9th February 2015 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OM USer (Post 330151)
Why is there an extra pin on the hotshoe? What is the extra function this controls and/or what is the missing function on the MK1 or other flashguns.
Thanks.

Edit: just occured to me - is it a power pin as the Mk1 clip on flash used the accessory port and could get power from here (and the Mk2 clip on flash can't) and the larger flashguns have batteries.

Got it in one :)

Ian

Ian 9th February 2015 08:36 PM

The FL-LM3, flash won't work on other Olympus cameras because the E-M5ii has an extra contact on the hot shoe to supply power in the absence of the accessory port. It might work on some new Panasonic models which share the same feature.

Ian

pdk42 9th February 2015 09:11 PM

OK - some E-M5ii questions..

Is the EVF eye sensor is disabled once the screen is flipped out (as it is on the E-M1)?

What is the depth of the buffer when shooting raw (in nr of shots)?

Ross the fiddler 9th February 2015 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 330182)
The FL-LM3, flash won't work on other Olympus cameras because the E-M5ii has an extra contact on the hot shoe to supply power in the absence of the accessory port. It might work on some new Panasonic models which share the same feature.

Ian

As it appears to have the same pin locations as Canon, then if keen, that flash could possibly be used on those extension cables too (since many Oly users have bought those cables off eBay anyhow). *yes