Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Foto Fair (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Chesham's Tribute (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49171)

Barr1e 8th November 2018 08:59 PM

Chesham's Tribute

Anne and I were attempting to get a reasonable picture during the heavy rain falls yesterday - also I have taken a few signs and posts out - I think it should have the desired effect.

Chesham's tribute
https://dpnow.com/galleries/data/500...5_final_sf.jpg
Taken with OM D EM 1mkll + 12-100 lens - also posted on dpnow.com

pandora 8th November 2018 09:04 PM

Re: Chesham's Tribute

Aside from the well composed subject I like the sombre tone of this picture, Barrie.

Zuiko 8th November 2018 09:15 PM

Yes, it's the time of year to feel great pride and deep sorrow in equal measures - and a very special anniversary this year, too.

OM USer 8th November 2018 09:56 PM

A poignant reminder and well captured.

MJ224 8th November 2018 10:55 PM

Well composed and tastefully shown.

Nice photo....*chr

Jim Ford 8th November 2018 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 462300)
Yes, it's the time of year to feel great pride and deep sorrow in equal measures - and a very special anniversary this year, too.

I always feel uncomfortable about having an anniversary.

Scarcely a week goes by when I don't dwell on the horrors and waste of both wars (or any war). With me it's not a case of buy a poppy, stay silent for a couple of minutes on the 11th Nov., job done until next year - than an anniversary implies. I find it's particularly acute now I'm older, and also that my German partner lost three of her uncles in WW2, and the remaining one is still walking around with a Russian bullet in his body.

I'll put money into the collection boxes, but don't wear a poppy to demonstrate that I've done so, which is the reason I feel many people wear one.

(I expect many people will disagree strongly with me on this!)

Jim

Zuiko 9th November 2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 462319)

Scarcely a week goes by when I don't dwell on the horrors and waste of both wars (or any war). With me it's not a case of buy a poppy, stay silent for a couple of minutes on the 11th Nov., job done until next year - than an anniversary implies. I find it's particularly acute now I'm older, and also that my German partner lost three of her uncles in WW2, and the remaining one is still walking around with a Russian bullet in his body.

I'll put money into the collection boxes, but don't wear a poppy to demonstrate that I've done so, which is the reason I feel many people wear one.

Jim

You make a good point, Jim.

Ann1e 9th November 2018 07:02 PM

Quote:

Jim

I can relate to the greater part of your post, Jim, but I do not wear a poppy to demonstrate that I have given money, more to be able to walk along the High Street without being stopped again by the many collectors we have along the High Street for this very worthwhile cause.

Regards,
Anne

Keith-369 9th November 2018 08:54 PM

I contribute but refuse the poppy so that it can be sold to someone else.
I don't feel the need to demonstrate that I have contributed, the same as I don't demonstrate that I contribute to other charities, but if stopped by other collectors I politely tell them that I have.

Barr1e 10th November 2018 09:02 PM

The Hill
https://dpnow.com/galleries/data/500/The_Hill.jpg

Keith-369 10th November 2018 09:30 PM

Really good capture of this scene .... and great woodcarving.

wornish 10th November 2018 09:42 PM

Quote:

Jim

Jim

We don't agree on some things.... BUT ... ON THIS... I agree 100% !!!!

War is a total waste of what's important - life.

Jim Ford 10th November 2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barr1e (Post 462452)

Ivanhoe Beacon - on the path down from the car park, Barrie!

Good photo - I might have to visit it before the sculptures come down.

Jim

Jim Ford 10th November 2018 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann1e (Post 462380)
more to be able to walk along the High Street without being stopped again by the many collectors we have along the High Street for this very worthwhile cause.

I tend to 'ration' what I give in order to give to all the collectors!

Jim

DerekW 10th November 2018 11:16 PM

We put money in the tins but keep the poppies from year to year, the poppy is an injection to vaccinate us from being bugged.