Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   General photography discussion (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Anyone print A3 ? (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49538)

stevewestern 6th January 2019 12:37 PM

Anyone print A3 ?
 
I'm thinking of dipping my toes into the world of printing properly - too many pictures just stay hidden in a hard drive, or if they get printed then its usually Photobox who do a good job for the money - I've used DSCL a few times but want to try it myself.
I'm wondering about the Canon IP8750, which is just under £200 and uses the same inks as my current multi function printer (it can also take various refillable cartridges and I think a bulk ink feeder) Having had almost no experience of different papers I want to keep it fairly simple so may keep with one brand, such as Fotospeed or Permajet, both of who offer profiles (which I know nothing about) and I assume that along with a calibrated monitor should give me prints that look like my screen.


So, anyone got any advice, tips or thoughts - all much appreciated !

Walti 6th January 2019 12:46 PM

Re: Anyone print A3 ?
 
I've been using my local printer for such things, and they offer a very good service, an (roughly) A3 image on A2 art paper with a bespoke mount was £18, given the materials cost I don't think this is a bad price, and they use one of the top of the range Epson printers (£10k+) but at this sort of price and quality it makes buying a printer a non-starter for me.

stevewestern 6th January 2019 01:31 PM

Re: Anyone print A3 ?
 
Sadly I don't think we have a local printing shop as that would be very interesting. I've been looking at The Print Space - https://www.theprintspace.co.uk/phot...nting-service/ who are rather more expensive than your local people, and the maths still don't add up unless printing a lot, but it still appeals in many ways...

Graham_of_Rainham 6th January 2019 03:38 PM

Re: Anyone print A3 ?
 
Have a look at Peak Imaging

https://www.peak-imaging.com/

They provide a “calibration print” and the image used to produce it for paper and printing calibration

https://www.peak-imaging.com/cms/ass...d08d598dc6.jpg

https://www.peak-imaging.com/cms/ass...d08d598dc6.jpg

I use the Epson 4800 for A3+ prints and Epson paper.

steverh 6th January 2019 03:43 PM

Re: Anyone print A3 ?
 
Give these people a go. They are only a few miles from me so I can save on postage and their prices are very good. Make sure you use their colour profiles.

https://www.keynshamphoto.co.uk/

stevewestern 6th January 2019 05:07 PM

Re: Anyone print A3 ?
 
Thank you Walti, Graham and Steve - Seems that going to a shop rather than do it yourselves is the most popular way - I'm going to interpret that as home printing being not something to dabble with unless you have a lot of time and money to spare and don't give up when they all look too dark and the wrong colour..
Maybe I should give both Peak and Keynsham a try and see before buying a new toy..

Bikie John 6th January 2019 06:01 PM

Re: Anyone print A3 ?
 
It depends. I think that printing your own probably does not make economic sense unless you do a lot of it. But it adds a lot of satisfaction to the process of making a print - and it means that if it doesn't come out right you can have another go right away. I have had stuff in a couple of exhibitions over the last few years and found it immensely satisfying to see the work on the wall and think "I done that".

Profiling etc. is all very well, but it is necessary rather than sufficient. Prints will ever look the same as screens because they work differently. Profiling will help to get the colours (more or less) right but getting good prints really comes down to experience. Of course, profiling your printer for various papers is pretty pointless unless your screen is properly calibrated as well.

John

sapper 6th January 2019 06:08 PM

Re: Anyone print A3 ?
 
I do print my own sometimes, but it can be frustrating and not cheap. DSCL does most of my stuff.

ianinsuffolk 6th January 2019 10:35 PM

Re: Anyone print A3 ?
 
I agree with most of the points made. I have had many printers and until I brought an Epson P600 I was usually disappointed in the results and sent them off for commercial printing.
During discussions with an Epson specialist shop owner, he pointed out an interesting observation that amateur photographers would pay quite large, 4 figure sums for cameras and lenses but expected a £50 printer to be as good!
I was able to get a couple of test prints done on the Epson printer before spending around £600. I was convinced and have now printed hundreds of images at A4 and A3 with minimal post processing and nearly 100% success. I now have added external ink tanks from Perma Print which reduce ink costs by around 80% with the same print quality.
So for a total layout of around £800 I have a superb setup to match my OM-D E1mkii and Ian is very, very happy!!!!

raichea 7th January 2019 12:08 AM

Re: Anyone print A3 ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevewestern (Post 467602)
I'm thinking of dipping my toes into the world of printing properly - too many pictures just stay hidden in a hard drive, or if they get printed then its usually Photobox who do a good job for the money - I've used DSCL a few times but want to try it myself.
I'm wondering about the Canon IP8750, which is just under £200 and uses the same inks as my current multi function printer (it can also take various refillable cartridges and I think a bulk ink feeder) Having had almost no experience of different papers I want to keep it fairly simple so may keep with one brand, such as Fotospeed or Permajet, both of who offer profiles (which I know nothing about) and I assume that along with a calibrated monitor should give me prints that look like my screen.


So, anyone got any advice, tips or thoughts - all much appreciated !

I've been using an ip8750 for some time with paper and profiles from PermaJet. I've been very happy with the results and had several complimentary comments about the print quality from experienced photographers.

I chose the 8750 after looking at the Pro10/100 etc. models. The slightly cheaper price/fewer ink cartridges swayed it for me. In practice, the difference in quality is barely noticeable, if at all.

I do, of course, calibrate my screen (X-rite i1Display Pro) and use ink/paper profiles based on prints I sent to PermaJet (they offer a free profiling service, as do FotoSpeed, I believe).

stevewestern 7th January 2019 10:03 AM

Re: Anyone print A3 ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ianinsuffolk (Post 467644)
I agree with most of the points made. I have had many printers and until I brought an Epson P600 I was usually disappointed in the results and sent them off for commercial printing.
During discussions with an Epson specialist shop owner, he pointed out an interesting observation that amateur photographers would pay quite large, 4 figure sums for cameras and lenses but expected a £50 printer to be as good!
I was able to get a couple of test prints done on the Epson printer before spending around £600. I was convinced and have now printed hundreds of images at A4 and A3 with minimal post processing and nearly 100% success. I now have added external ink tanks from Perma Print which reduce ink costs by around 80% with the same print quality.
So for a total layout of around £800 I have a superb setup to match my OM-D E1mkii and Ian is very, very happy!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by raichea (Post 467646)
I've been using an ip8750 for some time with paper and profiles from PermaJet. I've been very happy with the results and had several complimentary comments about the print quality from experienced photographers.

I chose the 8750 after looking at the Pro10/100 etc. models. The slightly cheaper price/fewer ink cartridges swayed it for me. In practice, the difference in quality is barely noticeable, if at all.

I do, of course, calibrate my screen (X-rite i1Display Pro) and use ink/paper profiles based on prints I sent to PermaJet (they offer a free profiling service, as do FotoSpeed, I believe).


Interesting...!
Steve, do you use Canon inks or have you found a cheaper alternative that you like ?
I am happy to spend more when buying if it means cheaper running costs, and we all know how scary ink costs can be !


The IP8750 appeals as it is cheaper to buy, but I'm not sure if anyone sells external ink tanks for it - I had looked at the Epson that you have Ian for that very reason - like many, I have had first hand experience of Epson's famous clogging heads so am wary, but it did happen a long time ago so it may not be an issue now.
I use a Spyder5pro to calibrate my screen, and assume that profiling via Permajet or Fotospeed is pretty much a case of following instructions ?
I'm happy to keep everything as simple as possible to start, so would stick with one brand of ink and paper though would like to try a few finishes.
Thank you both (I think..) for your replies !

Bikie John 7th January 2019 11:45 AM

Re: Anyone print A3 ?
 
I ave no experience of Permajet profiling, but the Fotospeed system is pretty simple and I imagine Perjet's will be similar. You download a package from their website which contains a standard chart with a load of colour patches, a profile order form, and some instructions. You print the chart(s) and post off to Fotospeed and at some point you get an email with profile(s) attached. Installation of the profiles is really straightforward, and is covered in the instructions.

There are two things to look out for. The tricky bit is that you have to print this without any profiling or adjustments getting in the way - the FS instructions suggest using Adobe Colour Print Utility and give instructions accordingly. The other is that you have to provide a paper type in the print driver, and remember to set the same one when printing using the profile. On my Epson I specify Premium Semi-Gloss for all gloss papers and (I think) Archival Matt for all matt ones. It all works pretty well.

I like Fotospeed paper, I am sure Permajet is also good - and probably comes from the same factory with a different label on the box. I was disappointed that last year Fotospeed discontinued my favourite gloss paper, Platinum Gloss. I got some really good results with it and haven't yet managed to match them using the newer papers. I use their Pigment-Friendly series for general stuff, comes in at about 40 per sheet of A4 I think, and Fine Art for for serious work at more like a quid a shot. They also do Matt Proofing paper which is lightweight and much cheaper - I used it for proofing last time I had an exhibition and was really impressed by the image quality.

John

stevewestern 7th January 2019 12:43 PM

Re: Anyone print A3 ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikie John (Post 467666)
I ave no experience of Permajet profiling, but the Fotospeed system is pretty simple and I imagine Perjet's will be similar. You download a package from their website which contains a standard chart with a load of colour patches, a profile order form, and some instructions. You print the chart(s) and post off to Fotospeed and at some point you get an email with profile(s) attached. Installation of the profiles is really straightforward, and is covered in the instructions.

There are two things to look out for. The tricky bit is that you have to print this without any profiling or adjustments getting in the way - the FS instructions suggest using Adobe Colour Print Utility and give instructions accordingly. The other is that you have to provide a paper type in the print driver, and remember to set the same one when printing using the profile. On my Epson I specify Premium Semi-Gloss for all gloss papers and (I think) Archival Matt for all matt ones. It all works pretty well.

I like Fotospeed paper, I am sure Permajet is also good - and probably comes from the same factory with a different label on the box. I was disappointed that last year Fotospeed discontinued my favourite gloss paper, Platinum Gloss. I got some really good results with it and haven't yet managed to match them using the newer papers. I use their Pigment-Friendly series for general stuff, comes in at about 40 per sheet of A4 I think, and Fine Art for for serious work at more like a quid a shot. They also do Matt Proofing paper which is lightweight and much cheaper - I used it for proofing last time I had an exhibition and was really impressed by the image quality.

John


Thanks John - I've just got a reply to an email I sent Fotospeed. Tim there suggests I look at the Epson SC600 with their inkflow system, and I'm very tempted.
Got some thinking to do, but again, thanks for your help !

raichea 7th January 2019 12:53 PM

Re: Anyone print A3 ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevewestern (Post 467661)
Interesting...!
Steve, do you use Canon inks or have you found a cheaper alternative that you like ?

I have used third-party inks in the past, but for the 8750 I've stuck with Canon inks. Unfortunately, the price seems to have shot up from around £60/set to over £80 in the last year or so, so they are not cheap.

I went for a Canon printer because my experience of Epson models hasn't been great. Every Epson printer I've owned has ended up with blocked print nozzles or another ink feed fault. In contrast, an A4 Canon printer (iP4500?) I had, sat in my garage for about 4 years (boxed), and worked perfectly the first time when I resurrected it... and I was using third-party inks.

I don't do a vast amount of printing, but I do like the control home printing gives... commercial printers tend to mess with the image to a greater or lesser extent including scaling (expanding) the image by around 2% to avoid slivers of unprinted area at the edge (as would occur if the aspect ratio is slightly off). There is a setting in Photobox.co.uk's submission process that let's you tell them not to mess with the image colours but I believe they still scale it.

www.cityinkexpress.co.uk do a CISS system for the iP8750, but I thought it looked a bit clunky and, given my print volumes, decided not to go for it.

Hope this helps!

raichea 7th January 2019 12:56 PM

Re: Anyone print A3 ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikie John (Post 467666)
.... and I imagine Perjet's will be similar.

The PermaJet process is pretty much identical. You sent a print from your printer of their test swatches on the paper stock you plan to use - one print for each type - and the profiles drop into your inbox a couple of days later.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:37 AM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger