Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Remote Control (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49271)

Promethius 24th November 2018 10:13 AM

Remote Control

As the EM-5 II can be controlled by radio from a smartphone, I would have thought that a small radio control would have been sold by someone. I do not have a smartphone, and do not want to carry the associated bulk, but have several applications where remote shutter release would be handy.

I have only seen systems which use a receiver mounted on the accessory shoe, and a seperate transmitter. While this operates very well on my G2, they all have bulk and weight penalties - although small - and use a rather long 'curly' wire to connnect with the camera.

They also all use a straight USB connector, which inevitably causes the cable to become caught, and to bend sharply near to the connector. A right-angled connector would be a great improvement, but again no-one seems to sell such an item. Some third-party cables are available, but they also use a straight connector, and are invariably far too short to be used.

All I need is a small transmitter, similar to the infra-red type sold by Nikon etc. In view of the obvious weight and bulk advantages of MFT, I am surprised that Olympus or Panasonic have not produced such an accessory. They have not done their customers any favours by jumping on the 'Smartphones are the answer to all problems' bandwagon.

Any ideas?

Jim Ford 24th November 2018 10:57 AM

Re: Remote Control

I have a smartphone and the Olympus app to control the camera, but find it a bit of a 'faff' to do so.

You need to turn on the camera wireless and then wait for the mobile phone to 'see' the access point, then select it and wait for the phone to log on. I find it very much quicker and more reliable just to plug in the cheap wired remote I bought from Ebay.

(I'm using an E-P5 camera)

Jim

Promethius 24th November 2018 02:45 PM

Yes - there are lots of deficits to the idea that a smartphone is the answer to all problems! I do not even carry a phone most times, and would hate carrying the bulk of one. I'm just not of the phone generation.

A wired remote is fine if you are within the wire distance, but it can be a limitation. The JJC wifi remote I use with my G2 is fine for pre-ordained pictures, but I found it a nuisance to fit the receiver and plug it in just for the odd selfie or long exposure, when a small wifi transmitter in a pouch on the camera strap would be so much more convenient.

alfbranch 25th November 2018 12:33 AM

You can try a Hanel captur
https://www.hahnel.ie/irish-shop/cap...mpuspanasonic/

Promethius 25th November 2018 08:50 AM

That is what I want to avoid - having to carry a large transmitter and a receiver which needs to be mounted on the camera. The Nikon IR remote is about as large as two postage stamps, and about 3 mm thick - why OLy and Panasonic cannot produce something of similar size defeats me.

Graham_of_Rainham 25th November 2018 08:53 AM

I use a PiXeL Pawn RC to control both camera and flash

*chr

alfbranch 26th November 2018 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Promethius (Post 463794)
That is what I want to avoid - having to carry a large transmitter and a receiver which needs to be mounted on the camera. The Nikon IR remote is about as large as two postage stamps, and about 3 mm thick - why OLy and Panasonic cannot produce something of similar size defeats me.

Oly stopped doing those as generally they are rubbish as they only work from the front ofthe camera. Its amusing whatching landscape photographers using those things.

Jim Ford 26th November 2018 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfbranch (Post 463884)
Oly stopped doing those as generally they are rubbish as they only work from the front ofthe camera. Its amusing whatching landscape photographers using those things.

Yes, I've got one of those somewhere. I think I last used it on my E3. I don't think my E-P5 supports IR shutter release.

Jim