Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   For sale or wanted small ads (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   WANTED LX100 or GM5 Body (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47936)

DekHog 21st May 2018 07:41 PM

LX100 or GM5 Body

OK, it's coming up to holiday time, and I refuse to take a bag full of gear that I know will end up sitting in the apartment - if anyone has any of the above (in black) I may be interested in buying...... (sorry I'm not asking for Olympus this time!) :D

pdk42 21st May 2018 10:26 PM

Re: LX100 or GM5 Body

I'd recommend you be careful buying the LX100 used. I bought one and found that it would not reliably focus on anything beyond a few metres away. I tried everything - all the AF modes, MF, Image Stabilisation on/off, ... Nothing worked. One shot in ten would be sharp, but the other 9 were just mush; not every close.

There are lots of people around on the web who have experienced similar issues. Steve Huff's review noticed it too.

It's clearly not a complete fail since many people do like their cameras and find that focusing works fine. However, there is a decent minority who have had serious problems.

So - if buying used ... I'd suggest that you find somewhere with a robust return policy

DekHog 22nd May 2018 04:57 AM

Thanks, Paul. I never had any issues with my last LX100, but I guess that doesn't really mean much. Foibles aside, I did like it a lot though. GM5 looks like a good buy as well, although prices are going the wrong way just now. Maybe a good investment! [emoji4]

Cathal 22nd May 2018 09:42 AM

How about a new one?

But direct online from the Panasonic uk website, and enter the code STOWE20 at the checkout, and receive a 20% discount... and there’s a £50 cash back too, which makes the actual eventual price £350.

DekHog 22nd May 2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathal (Post 447550)
How about a new one?

But direct online from the Panasonic uk website, and enter the code STOWE20 at the checkout, and receive a 20% discount... and there’s a £50 cash back too, which makes the actual eventual price £350.

I think I'll go for that - bit of a bargain, thanks!*chr

Cerebus 25th May 2018 08:13 PM

I had a GM5 - great compact engineering but I couldn't get along with it. Also the colours coming out of it didn't look right. Sold it in favour of an E-M10II and was/am much happier with that.

DekHog 25th May 2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebus (Post 447803)
I had a GM5 - great compact engineering but I couldn't get along with it. Also the colours coming out of it didn't look right. Sold it in favour of an E-M10II and was/am much happier with that.

Yeah, I'm never too fussed about the whole out of camera colour thing, as I normally process the raw files anyway....... it was more a physical size issue for me than anything else.

pdk42 25th May 2018 09:50 PM

I had a GM5 briefly. I loved the size, and I hated the size. It was great for being highly portable, but it was just too fiddly to use as a proper camera. Quite a technological triumph, but ultimately flawed. The E-M10 (esp the mark ii) is slightly larger but a much better camera in nearly all ways (IMHO).