Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Looking for improvement (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   New Brighton Sunset (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38518)

Ralph Harwood 9th July 2015 12:03 AM

New Brighton Sunset

Hi there Everyone!

I took this photo last week, but I'm not particularly happy with the result. I'm not sure if it's the composition or what, but it just doesn't seem to work for me. What would you do with it? Any help or pointers very much welcome.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Barkly 9th July 2015 01:34 AM

Re: New Brighton Sunset

Doesn't work for me - I cannot see a picture!

Ralph Harwood 9th July 2015 06:10 AM

It was there before when I checked it - I'll try again later!

Ralph Harwood 9th July 2015 06:25 AM

Here it is again (hopefully)

[IMG]http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/5..._2_websize.jpg[/IMG]

I hope this time it stays put!

greenguru 9th July 2015 06:51 AM

I'm no expert but it looks like it needs cropping to me.

Either landscape:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/upload..._landscape.jpg

Or portrait:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/upload...ebsize_DxO.jpg

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Rob

Ricoh 9th July 2015 08:17 AM

Ralph, it's a nice looking photograph. Compositionally the power of three works. In my opinion it would look better without the human in the scene (I know a statement like that is difficult to believe from someone like me!), and if let's imagine he wasn't there, a crop about 1/4 way up. Another crop to provide equal breathing space either side of the wind turbines, to the left and right.
Just my thoughts. Worth taking again if we ever get the weather conditions again.

Ralph Harwood 9th July 2015 06:49 PM

Hi there everyone!

Steve - I have another version taken a few seconds earlier without the people (it's actually a couple walking side by side hence the three legs) - I had been trying for the "critical moment" where the figures were in silhouette.

Rob - I like the idea of the portrait crop, it also fits with my habit of shooting landscapes in portrait. I'll have to have a try later on.

Thank you both for your comments,

Cheers,

Ralph

Ian 9th July 2015 07:16 PM

Maybe it has something to do with the production of the web resolution version but it looks almost out of focus on my screen?

Ian

pdk42 9th July 2015 10:49 PM

The problem you have Ralph is quite simple (and I'm amazed you haven't spotted it yourself since IMHO it is fairly clear) - it's taken in New Brighton! I say this as an ex-scouser whose sister lived on the Wirral for years!

Seriously, I think the turbines are a strong-enough element without either the people or the sun. A long exposure to get blur on the blades would be nice too.

raichea 9th July 2015 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 351575)
Maybe it has something to do with the production of the web resolution version but it looks almost out of focus on my screen?

Ian

I thought that - don't know if it's focus or motion or the resizing - the sea looks fuzzy, but not enough to be intentional.

Also the silhouette might have worked better from a lower viewpoint, making the sky the background.

IanB 9th July 2015 11:43 PM

i have personal dislike for the big bright sun in a photo.....just seems to take over too much.
I'm left to wonder how the scene would have looked about 10-20 minutes after the sun set which is often the best time for sunset photos

Mdb2 10th July 2015 09:26 AM

Hi I am no expert but I think you have done well. I think if you were to have waited a little longer for the sun to dip just to or below the horizon it would have made the wind turbines and maybe the human a little stronger?? And maybe a slightly lower angle. Hindsight is a wonderful thing ( or bl---- nuisance)
Mike

KeithL 10th July 2015 03:18 PM

If you really wanted the sun in it, I think it would have been better from a different viewpoint, so that it wasn't directly over the central windmills. Say between the centre and RH windmills.

The people are merely mixed up in the reflections and waves rather than being in proper silhouette, which makes it a bit sort of irritating. You can't really see them, but neither can you not see them, if you see what I mean. Maybe even better with the sun just below the horizon, just behind the windmills.

As it is, your'e right, it doesn't work. We all manage to achieve such a result, though, don't we, sometimes?

Ralph Harwood 10th July 2015 06:02 PM

Hi there Everyone!

I have to agree that the photo would have been even better taken 20 minutes or so later, when the sun had just set. Unfortunately it was taken on my way to work, and if you look at the time it was taken it was 2130, with me needing to arrive in Chester by 2200hrs, so this was very much a quick grab and run. Unfortunately my boss wouldn't think that "I NEEDED to get this photo" would be a valid excuse for being late for work!

As regards to the focussing - I tried again and again to get a good focus, and in the end resorted to using the wind turbines to get a focus on and then recomposing. The wind turbines are actually a long way out into the Irish Sea so this photo was taken with the 40-150 at about 85mm - so it's possible that even at f7.1 there isn't enough depth of field in front of the wind turbines to keep the sea and beach in focus - the people we about 50 yards away. I did also wonder if the sea looked oof due to the brightness of the reflections causing flaring off each highlight.

And Paul - it's surprising the difference that an investment of £200 million can make to a town - New Brighton has a new Theatre, Cinema and a really nice selection of waterside restaurants, and the dodgy night-clubs have faded away in the face of the opposition. The people who come (and there are quite a few now) are slightly different now too.

Thank you for all the comments, you have certainly given me some food for thought. A re-shoot will certainly be in order if and when we get a sunny weekend evening or the sunset times get a little bit earlier.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Ralph Harwood 10th July 2015 06:40 PM

Hi again!

Here is another photo taken at the same time (well maybe 5 minutes earlier) with hopefully better focus and taken in portrait.

Thanks for looking and commenting,

Cheers,

Ralph.