Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   General photography discussion (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Pro-capture help (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47956)

Phill D 24th May 2018 10:04 AM

Pro-capture help

I'm going to an archery session on Saturday and was considering trying out the pro-capture facility. Just did a few searches on here for any tips and info but couldn't find much discussion at all. Now that's probably because I'm rubbish at searching, it just doesn't seem to work very well for me. So apologies for the help request post if there are threads I've missed. Any pro-capture guidance would be much appreciated.

benvendetta 24th May 2018 11:55 AM

Re: Pro-capture help

Phil, there are a couple of videos on YouTube that cover this. One in particular is by some Aussie guy shooting surfers. You should find it easily. I have yet to try this Mk2 feature but I need to find the right subject. Archery sounds perfect.

Walti 24th May 2018 12:26 PM

Phil,

I've used it a few times and have been very pleased with the results - the potential is stunning.

A couple of notes...
  • PROCapture L allows the use of C-AF - H is only S-AF (so you would need to ensure a constant focus requirement for H...)
  • The settings allow for different before and after frame counts and a maximum number of frames, set it to more before and for something like archery virtually none after the press.
  • Choose your setting for frames per second in the H and L set up menus. I would guess that for archery you would need to use high, but whether the full 60fps is needed I don't know
  • It is quite difficult to get your head around the half press to buffer and full press to record requirement, but with a little practice it becomes easy.

wornish 24th May 2018 12:31 PM

Phil

Here is a direct link to the video on YouTube that benvendetta referred to.

and another one that shows what we expect you to return with :)

Think the key point especially with the high speed version is pre focus on your intended target

benvendetta 24th May 2018 02:22 PM

Yes the first one is what I was referring to. Laziness on my part not posting a link 🙁

DerekW 24th May 2018 09:32 PM

Pro capture also helps you to see how slow your reaction time is to pressing the shutter when hearing or seeing an event.
I was shooting a mallet striking an object, fully pressing the shutter on hearing the impact, Pro capture showed how slow I was at finally pressing the shutter.

Phill D 25th May 2018 09:17 AM

Thanks for all the help and the links especially that first one is good to watch. I know he's an ambassador but his enthusiasm seems pretty genuine.
Well I had a trial go yesterday and well it's fun but definitely a good way to fill up a card. Sort of a success I guess? I'll post the results in a separate thread.