Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Telephoto (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Bigma and EM-1..?? (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31990)

Bikie John 1st February 2018 02:40 PM

Re: Bigma and EM-1..??

Fair point Rob, but it's not just when you are using it. You have to carry it around, and if the only strap attachment points are on the body, the body and lens mount will have to support the weight of the lens.

John

RobEW 1st February 2018 03:55 PM

Indeed, but then with the weight of the lens, if a strap is round your nexk then the camera would hang down lense first, so the strain would at least be spread across the whole flange.

I do sometimes worry a bit about carring a big zoom lens in that way anyway, as when I walk it tends to bounce a bit off my midriff which could cause some significant strains within the moving parts of the lens. I prefer to keep my 50-200 supported rather than hanging when I walk. (It also zoom creeps)

MJ224 1st February 2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler (Post 436223)
Malaysia is also "downunder!" *upsided

Aaahhh Also fell into that trap in Hawaii. Could not understand why the moon crescent was North-South rather than East-West as we see it in UK.

Live and learn.................(Flat Earth??? Could it be any other way..*chr)

Ross the fiddler 1st February 2018 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ224 (Post 438741)
Aaahhh Also fell into that trap in Hawaii. Could not understand why the moon crescent was North-South rather than East-West as we see it in UK.

Actually, I got that wrong! :o It's still north of the equator. *shrug

The reality is that the south pole is really the top of the earth & all the land mass has been slipping down to the north over billions of years. ;)

peak4 1st February 2018 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobEW (Post 438627)
Used Bigma just arrived this morning. It really is a beast isn't it. But nice. Defintely needs a tripod - partly for handling and partly due to magnification. Looking forward to a sunny day and getting to a nature reserve or similar,

Before you do go, I'd have a play with the fine focus adjustment to tailor the lens to your particular body. I've not used my Bigma for some time on the E-M1, but certainly needed to set it up correctly to save getting mis-focussed shots.
It would be a shame to come away from your first proper outing somewhat disillusioned, as it's a lens that can work very well.

blu-by-u 2nd February 2018 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler (Post 438758)
Actually, I got that wrong! :o It's still north of the equator. *shrug

The reality is that the south pole is really the top of the earth & all the land mass has been slipping down to the north over billions of years. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ224 (Post 438741)

:(I could have posted it upsidedown as it was directly overhead and the camera was really poking into my eye. If the orientation is wrong, so soli..the shot was to show the IQ of that BigMa.