Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   e-420 Review up at DPReview (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2169)

Chillimonster 23rd June 2008 12:40 PM

e-420 Review up at DPReview

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0806/08...e420review.asp

Get a Highly reccomended (well deserved in my opinion :) )

Chris

R MacE 23rd June 2008 01:08 PM

Re: e-420 Review up at DPReview

Still harping on about start -up time though. They say the SSWF should operate at shut down!!!

Why on earth would you want the sensor cleaned after you've switched off, think about it, switch camera off, change lens (if dust is going to enter it'll do it with the lens off) take shot, switch off camera and then it cleans the sensor. What planet are they on :mad:

Oh by the way, the start -up time (power off to Shot) is 0.5 of a second, almost an eternity :rolleyes:

Garrie 23rd June 2008 01:34 PM

you know startup time has never been an issue for me, as I leave the camera on all day when I'm shooting..

Its a little sad reviewers still go on about it :rolleyes:

Haisbro 23rd June 2008 02:24 PM

AP are testing the E420 and E520 in next weeks issue :eek:

David

Chillimonster 23rd June 2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haisbro (Post 18718)
AP are testing the E420 and E520 in next weeks issue :eek:

David

Yeah, but they're not Canon or Nikon so don't expect too much :rolleyes:

Chris

R MacE 23rd June 2008 02:27 PM

Exactly, why on earth would you need a quicker start up time. Are they seriously expecting people to believe that if they were carrying the camera, switched off, and something happened unexpectedly that they could have the shot framed so quickly that a 0.5 second start up (or 1 second if you waited for the LCD to fire up) could by any stretch of the imagination make a difference?

Come on give me a break :rolleyes:

Wreckdiver 23rd June 2008 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R MacE (Post 18720)
Exactly, why on earth would you need a quicker start up time. Are they seriously expecting people to believe that if they were carrying the camera, switched off, and something happened unexpectedly that they could have the shot framed so quickly that a 0.5 second start up (or 1 second if you waited for the LCD to fire up) could by any stretch of the imagination make a difference?

Come on give me a break :rolleyes:

It's probably because they cannot find anything else to find fault with on Olympus cameras. Heaven forbid if they had to give a 100% perfect rating.

Steve

Jim Ford 23rd June 2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R MacE (Post 18714)
Still harping on about start -up time though. They say the SSWF should operate at shut down!!!

I've previously stated on dpreview that cleaning the sensor at shutdown is like wiping your b*m before you go to the toilet!

I also said that if you need to get your camera to your eye quicker than the 0.5 sec startup time, you need to wear a gumshield because you're in danger of knocking your teeth out with an E3.

Jim

Nick Temple-Fry 23rd June 2008 04:45 PM

They are not even considering like with like, the start up time quoted is that time necessary to start up the camera and have a clean sensor.

Now consider for a non sswf camera.

1) find sensor cleaning kit (5 mins)
2) Ensure the battery is fully charged (2 hrs)
3) Take + process test shot to find dust particles (10 minutes)
4) Take off lens and open shutter (2 mins)
5) Clean sensor (10 mins)
6) Re-fit lens (1 min)
7) Take and process test shot to maqke sure you have removed particles (10 minutes)
8) Travel to shoot (x hrs)

Repeat steps 1-7 if you change lens at shoot.

Ho-hum

Nick

giorgosmit 23rd June 2008 05:17 PM

As a fortunate E-420 owner, the review has left me with mixed feelings. With some of the stated pros/ cons, I agree wholeheartedley. With others, it's all I can do not to laugh out loud while shaking my head in disbelief. The SSWF is simply the most glaring example of exaggeration.

I mean... c'mon people! Limited DR? Blown highlights? Again? I can assure you that this is not the case, unless the only DR the reviewer considers acceptable is that of the S5. I have taken some *very* contrasty photos, and the camera did not even break a sweat. In fact, this is the first oly cam that does not need any negative EC (in both the E-500 and the E-330, -0.3/-0.7 stops was the norm).

Not so good WB? I beg to differ. The E-420 has incredibly good WB. Gone is the orange cast in interior, tungsted- lit shots. This is also the first oly that in which the FN button is not set to manual WB. I simply do not need it.

Generally, the camera is a very capable picture- taking tool. I bought it just because of its small size, and it has far exceeded my expectations on many, many occassions.

R MacE 23rd June 2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 18725)
I've previously stated on dpreview that cleaning the sensor at shutdown is like wiping your b*m before you go to the toilet!

I also said that if you need to get your camera to your eye quicker than the 0.5 sec startup time, you need to wear a gumshield because you're in danger of knocking your teeth out with an E3.

Jim

LOL.

I think I've found the perfect pastime for those lightnin' fast reviewers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Draw

Why not test your reaction time, see link below.

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/...time/index.php

Garrie 23rd June 2008 06:11 PM

My first attempt I got a 187, I'm in the top 100 :D

R MacE 23rd June 2008 06:16 PM

Well done, *super

you do realise that you need to sell all your E-System cameras as they're waaaay to slow :D

Garrie 23rd June 2008 06:18 PM

lol not a chance *chr its staying with me *yes