Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Events (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Photokina - just over a month away; what are your expectations? (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22344)

Ian 15th August 2012 11:20 PM

Photokina - just over a month away; what are your expectations?

Photokina is a the photo industry's huge biennial trade expo in Cologne, Germany, and Photokina 2012 kicks off on the 18th of September. I'm all booked to go and can't wait!

In the past we've had the Olympus E-3 prototype revealed at Photokina, the early design study of the first Olympus Pen Micro Four Thirds camera, the Olympus E-30, - all unveiled at previous Photokina shows.

What would you like to see launched by Olympus, at this year's Photokina?

Ian

David M 15th August 2012 11:45 PM

Re: Photokina - just over a month away; what are your expectations?

I predict the 4/3 telephoto macro that some of us have been waiting for since it was on the 2003 lens roadmap will not be there.

Graham_of_Rainham 15th August 2012 11:46 PM

I expect to see a XZ-2 or something to replace the XZ-1

A "Pro" spec 12-60 MFT would get a lot of attention, as would some "Top Pro" zooms at 14-35 & 35-100 to match the Panasonic offerings.

If they do, then that will signal the end of the full size four thirds for a lot of people.

On the other hand there may be nothing but a merger statement :eek:

Zuiko 16th August 2012 12:41 AM

Ian, I predict that you will have a great time, but will also keep busy by posting us the latest information - often working until late into the night.

I expect we will see a re-vamped Pen range and maybe a couple of new lenses, in particular the 60mm macro.

What I would like to see is a cheaper OM-D with non weather-resistant plastic body, but I suspect we'll see a more expensive "pro" version first - and not at Photokina.

zuiko-holic 16th August 2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 182259)

Ian

Hm, let's see...

a) An E-7 prototype with a new sensor (an improved E-M5 sensor would be nice), at least 7-8fps and a more advanced C-AF system.
And to be released in 12-16 months from now.

b) Expansion of the OM-D series.

A revamped E-M5 (called E-M5s or EM-7) with improved AF system so it can focus with 4/3 lenses, a more rigid body and proper C-AF.

Also, a new cost-friendly body (E-M3 maybe) which doesn't need to be weather-proofed but with EVF and retro design.

Both to be released within 6 months.

c) New m4/3 lenses.

60mm f/2.8 Macro and 75mm f/1.8 are on the way but the system needs at least 2 new zooms.

Something like 12-50mm f/2.8-3.5 or 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 and of course a bright tele-zoom like 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 or 50-150mm f/2.8

Last, but not least, a 25mm f/2 or brighter (but cheaper than Leica...) would be awesome so that the OM-D(igital) can justify its name...

d) Converters/adapters for m43.

If an in body AF system capable of fast-focusing with 4/3 lenses is impossible atm, at least a mount converter to do that would be nice (even if it has to have a mirror (NEX-style).

Also, AF extension Tubes for Macro (like EX-25) and teleconverters (1.4x & 2x).

Bill Gordon 16th August 2012 01:13 AM

For the OM D Lens Hoods packaged with the lenses as was formerly done with the E- series of cameras.
Landscape version of the grip without the extra battery carrier.
*chr

Phill D 16th August 2012 06:08 AM

I'd like to se an E510 size camera with an OMD sensor and an E5 size OVF!!!
Doubt it will be worth me going as I don't think it's on the corporate roadmap.

OlyPaul 16th August 2012 07:11 AM

Well if the rumour mill is to be believed then the 60mm Macro and a 15mm f8 fixed aperture will be there and a new Pen.

Benedict 16th August 2012 07:47 AM

For me what I would like to see is a clear statement of future intent as regrdards the development and support to the 4/3 ethos. I am not into m4/3 and probably never will be,so before I splash my hard earned cash on existing equipmeent it would be comforting to know in general terms what the future holds in 4/3 terms and then I can decide whether to join them on the journey.

StephenL 16th August 2012 08:24 AM

An increase in the range of higher-grade lenses for m4/3.

Chevvyf1 16th August 2012 08:49 AM

I would be pleased if there was a firmware upgrade for E-5 in Focus Lock and Tracking ! But technically, I dont know that is possible.

As for E-7 that would be nice, however, I dont think it will be E-5 +++ based but OMD based and I fear for the quality, given so many complaining about paint flaking off! OR they will all be bare metal :D so no more of these complaints :) :eek:

I predict Ian will have "a Ball" come back well fired up and with so much news, he will be writing away for days non stop :eek::eek: :D

Invicta 16th August 2012 09:51 AM

Some news on a E-5 replacement is important, at least for me.

I like my OMD for travel but my E3 is a little outdated now. I keep wishing for Oly to make some annoucement to keep me with Oly for the DSLR sized camera. I keep looking at a Nikon replacement, there are some reasons to stay with my E3 but I will have to make a decision soon if to switch. No doubt as soon as I do Oly will annouce an E7.

snaarman 16th August 2012 11:01 AM

More m4/3 and less 4/3 I'm afraid.

I can't see any other path that makes sense technically. Yes. Lets put the E-M5 sensor in an E-7 and give it a light dusting of improvements, but what else is left for 4/3?

I try to imagine an E650. It has a the E-M5 sensor and uses native 4/3 lenses ... but the weak point of the 620 is the small viewfinder. The obvious solution is to make it EVF. You no longer need the mirror. Now you can't use Phase Detect AF because the mini mirror has gone. Oh dear, you just invented the E-M5 with a MMF3 permanently attached :) So that idea won't fly...

No, I would like to see a range of sub-pro m4/3 lenses. The top pro lens designs will always be too big and too heavy to live on a m4/3 body. However, consider the 11-22, 14-54 and 12-60 type of lens redesigned and optimised for a m4/3 camera. Quality construction, slightly brighter, weather proofed and designed for fast CD AF. Aah if only.

That's what I think. And I'm always right because I know everything.

Pete

StephenL 16th August 2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaarman (Post 182323)
And I'm always right because I know everything.

Pete

You're giving your age away now, Pete. Now everyone knows you're a teenager!

benvendetta 16th August 2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlyPaul (Post 182276)
Well if the rumour mill is to be believed then the 60mm Macro and a 15mm f8 fixed aperture will be there and a new Pen.

Isn't 4/3 Rumors a great site................?