Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Software (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   HELP! Luminar 2018 Anyone? (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46499)

CJJE 1st November 2017 10:32 PM

Luminar 2018 Anyone?

I see that Macphun are about to relaunch their photo editing software as Luminar 2018, which will be available for Mac and Windows. They're aiming at previous users of Lightroom, but I'm thinking of using it to replace Photoshop Elements.

I've had a look at some reviews and their FAQs, but I'd appreciate any comments from anyone who has used previous incarnations. It seems to be a very good price for what looks to be a powerful yet easy to use photo editing program. (And only £53 if you pre-order it within the next 14 days!

Chris

raichea 2nd November 2017 12:04 AM

Re: Luminar 2018 Anyone?

Haven't played with it yet, but keeping a watch on it as they are saying they'll be able to handle LR catalogues in the release due in early 2018.

Whether that means just importing edits or doing full asset management remains to be seen.

Gate Keeper 2nd November 2017 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJJE (Post 431479)
I see that Macphun are about to relaunch their photo editing software as Luminar 2018, which will be available for Mac and Windows. They're aiming at previous users of Lightroom, but I'm thinking of using it to replace Photoshop Elements.

I've had a look at some reviews and their FAQs, but I'd appreciate any comments from anyone who has used previous incarnations. It seems to be a very good price for what looks to be a powerful yet easy to use photo editing program. (And only £53 if you pre-order it within the next 14 days!

Chris

I have been using Luminar for about 2 years. My current version is Luminar Neptune which can be opened up in Lightroom for further tweaking. Layering in Luminar is user friendly and simple to use. Luminar offers more tools than LR. Digital Asset Management is a new one. I have been offered an upgrade to 2018, but am still to decide about this. Macphun has a Facebook group and runs competitions with some great cash prizes. Members of the group are friendly and post up photos from Luminar and Aurora HDR daily.

Ian 2nd November 2017 09:34 AM

The company is alsp changing its name to reflect the move to include non-Mac products. It will called, um, 'Skylum'. I find this name, odd!

Ian

sapper 2nd November 2017 01:14 PM

So Luminar has layers?

BTaberham 2nd November 2017 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapper (Post 431536)
So Luminar has layers?

Yes, luminar has layers as well as a wealth of other tools.

I used the Luminar Windows Beta for a while and found that it has a far nicer learning curve than Photoshop or Affinity and tends to be very effective and easy to use.

I did find it slower than Affinity so I picked Affinity at the time however with the release of a Digital Asset Management function in 2018, a good Beta deal and my recent divorce from Adobe CC I'm definitely considering pre-ordering and using it as a complete replacement for Lightroom/Photoshop.

Gate Keeper 2nd November 2017 01:44 PM

Quote:

So Luminar has layers?

A screenshot.....of layering (in the link) which is from old Luminar Neptune 2017
https://flic.kr/p/CXSG3L

Gate Keeper 2nd November 2017 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 431514)
The company is alsp changing its name to reflect the move to include non-Mac products. It will called, um, 'Skylum'. I find this name, odd!

Ian

Itís a name which lacks inspiration and doesnít give much away about the companies products. I thought Skylum was something from a sci-fi movie and is nothing to do with photography....;)

Gate Keeper 2nd November 2017 01:59 PM

Quote:

So Luminar has layers?

A downside of the product is that it is resource hungry and requires a fast processor and lots of memory for it to work smoothly. After each session of editing, I use an app called Dr Cleaner which automatically reclaims any lost space used up by the app per edit

sapper 2nd November 2017 04:06 PM

Thanks guys. I went back to the McPhun site and had a look around, and am impressed. I use LR5 for all my stuff these days, cannot remember the last time I opened Photoshop. I like the idea of being able to use layers without having to open another programme.

raichea 2nd November 2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 431546)
A downside of the product is that it is resource hungry and requires a fast processor and lots of memory for it to work smoothly. After each session of editing, I use an app called Dr Cleaner which automatically reclaims any lost space used up by the app per edit

Any app that implements layers is likely to be a memory hog but it shouldn't be necessary to run a clean up after using it... the application should clean up after itself. If it doesn't, that 's a bug that should be reported.

Gate Keeper 2nd November 2017 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raichea (Post 431566)
Any app that implements layers is likely to be a memory hog but it shouldn't be necessary to run a clean up after using it... the application should clean up after itself. If it doesn't, that 's a bug that should be reported.

Thank you for making those helpful points. I have clean up already set, itís up and running as I like to keep my laptop in great working order. I have used it to clean up after Photoshop and Lightroom. The issue of the memory hog was reported to the Macphun Team on Facebook, something they take seriously :)

Gate Keeper 2nd November 2017 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapper (Post 431564)
Thanks guys. I went back to the McPhun site and had a look around, and am impressed. I use LR5 for all my stuff these days, cannot remember the last time I opened Photoshop. I like the idea of being able to use layers without having to open another programme.

Hi Dave, why not ĎTry the before you buyí version. Just a thought. I pulled out of Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC and Adobe Premiere in August, but still have access to Lightroom 4 (stand-alone) from within the Luminar app. What I like about the layers is using the brush tools etc and how they work similarly to LR. Have fun :)

raichea 2nd November 2017 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 431579)
I have used it to clean up after Photoshop and Lightroom. The issue of the memory hog was reported to the Macphun Team on Facebook, something they take seriously :)

I've never noticed a problem with LR or PS that needed any kind of corrective action... are you addressing something specific or is it something you do as a matter of course?

Good that you've flagged the issue to MacPhun.

Gate Keeper 2nd November 2017 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raichea (Post 431593)
I've never noticed a problem with LR or PS that needed any kind of corrective action... are you addressing something specific or is it something you do as a matter of course?

Good that you've flagged the issue to MacPhun.

Itís housekeeping - a matter of course for all apps. My apologies to users of PS and LR, no slant against the software was intended. Thank you