Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Software (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Which RAW developer (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4110)

crimbo 20th December 2008 09:16 AM

Which RAW developer

i look on RAW converters as similar to developers in the old wet darkroom days - they all do much the same thing but are all different.

So which is your preferred RAW converter?
Is there a converter that works best/worst with Olympus RAW files?

rich s 20th December 2008 09:45 AM

Re: Which RAW developer

Quote:

Originally Posted by crimbo (Post 34226)
i look on RAW converters as similar to developers in the old wet darkroom days - they all do much the same thing but are all different.

So which is your preferred RAW converter?
Is there a converter that works best/worst with Olympus RAW files?

As a straightforward RAW converter, after downloading and using trials of most (Bibble, Silkypix etc) - I went for Capture One 4. Interface is very straightforward and easy to use, & conversion is very quick. It also seems to me to give the closest colour to Oly files without using Studio.

For general file management and most other editing I use ACDSee Pro.

Ian 20th December 2008 11:22 AM

I really recommend Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and the latest version 2.2 has some cool additions, like camera profiles.

Ian

tlove 20th December 2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 34233)
I really recommend Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and the latest version 2.2 has some cool additions, like camera profiles.

Ian

That's very interesting Ian - I've got version 1 of Lightroom (latest version 1 that is), and thought it was brilliant, but the downside for me is that it stripped out Exif info when I saved my images (e.g for sending them in to this site) :(. It's probably because I'm doing something wrong, and although I've looked thoroughly I can't find a way of retaining it. As a consequence, I don't use it too often now. I like the look of version 2 but a) I can't afford it (not allowed - not even an upgrade), and b) if I could afford it I'm wary of the Exif info thing.

Ian 20th December 2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlove (Post 34234)
That's very interesting Ian - I've got version 1 of Lightroom (latest version 1 that is), and thought it was brilliant, but the downside for me is that it stripped out Exif info when I saved my images (e.g for sending them in to this site) :(. It's probably because I'm doing something wrong, and although I've looked thoroughly I can't find a way of retaining it. As a consequence, I don't use it too often now. I like the look of version 2 but a) I can't afford it (not allowed - not even an upgrade), and b) if I could afford it I'm wary of the Exif info thing.

Which version are you running (1.4?) - I don't have problems with retaining exif when I export... I have 1.4 and 2.2 on different machines.

Ian

terryw 20th December 2008 12:45 PM

In your trials you don't mention the Adobe DNG converter. I understood that Adobe developed it with the intention of it becoming a universal converter and with the latest 5.2 version it covers a fair range of diifferent makes and models.

Does Light Room not use the .dng converter, or am I missing something here?

Terry

crimbo 20th December 2008 01:20 PM

Okay so one for C1 4 and one for LR

any others for developing the RAW file prior to PP?

tlove 20th December 2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 34235)
Which version are you running (1.4?) - I don't have problems with retaining exif when I export... I have 1.4 and 2.2 on different machines.

Ian

I'm running 1.4 (1.4.1 to be exact, with Camera Raw 4.4.1). As I suspected, it's obviously something I'm doing then when exporting my images as jpegs. When I've got time, I might finally get it sorted :o

Oh - forgot to say earlier that, given the fact that I can't use Lightroom (:D), I usually access my raw images through Adobe Bridge, do any tweaking with the Adobe raw (dng) converter, then open into Photoshop CS3.

Pete Riley 20th December 2008 02:01 PM

I find that Rawtherapee does a good a job as any and it's free. It also has an algorithm designed for Olympus as a choice in the set up.

Jim Ford 20th December 2008 02:29 PM

Do any of the raw developers other than ACR have the facility to adjust highlights by holding down the alt button and clicking on the exposure button? With ACR this highlights the highlights to enable you to adjust the exposure to recover highlight detail. You can also do the same to recover shadow detail.

I find this a very useful facility that I wouldn't like to lose with another raw developer.

BTW - it's 'raw', not 'RAW'. Raw is not an acronym like JPEG or TIFF, so shouldn't be capitalised. Raw doesn't stand for anything and is just what it says - unprocessed.

Jim

crimbo 20th December 2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Riley (Post 34240)
I find that Rawtherapee does a good a job as any and it's free. It also has an algorithm designed for Olympus as a choice in the set up.

Mmm looks interesting...couldnt find the Oly algorhythm

Gwyver 20th December 2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlove (Post 34234)

Thea,
The Export Functions in Lightroom version 2 (Library Module) allow you to specify whether or not you want to strip out the (EXIF) metadata - and I can confirm that if you choose not to "Minimise embedded Metadata" it leaves it intact in the JPGs or whatever format you save to.

There are also several user-created Export plug-ins readily available which allow you even more precise control of which sub-sets of metadata to retain. Go to the Lightroom forum at
http://www.lightroomforums.net/index.php
and have a look for further links. (I think some of the well-known plug-ins are also compatible with LR 1.4.1 - though I only started with LR @ version 2.1 so I can't confirm this.)

HTH

snaarman 20th December 2008 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 34243)
With ACR this highlights the highlights to enable you to adjust the exposure to recover highlight detail. You can also do the same to recover shadow detail.
Jim

Oooh, I didn't realise it that !! Just tried it...

Pete

PaulE 20th December 2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaarman (Post 34250)
Oooh, I didn't realise it that !! Just tried it...

Pete

Nope me neither :o Thanks for the tip Jim I think that will come in very handy in future :)

tlove 20th December 2008 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwyver (Post 34247)
Thea,
The Export Functions in Lightroom version 2 (Library Module) allow you to specify whether or not you want to strip out the (EXIF) metadata - and I can confirm that if you choose not to "Minimise embedded Metadata" it leaves it intact in the JPGs or whatever format you save to.

There are also several user-created Export plug-ins readily available which allow you even more precise control of which sub-sets of metadata to retain. Go to the Lightroom forum at
http://www.lightroomforums.net/index.php
and have a look for further links. (I think some of the well-known plug-ins are also compatible with LR 1.4.1 - though I only started with LR @ version 2.1 so I can't confirm this.)

HTH

Thank you very much Chris - I'll have a look later on today :):)!

Knew it was probably something I was doing that I shouldn't, or vice versa :o:o! Looks like we're all learning something today!

Thanks again