Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Events (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Photokina - just over a month away; what are your expectations? (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22344)

snaarman 16th August 2012 11:53 AM

Re: Photokina - just over a month away; what are your expectations?

Quote:

Originally Posted by benvendetta (Post 182331)
Isn't 4/3 Rumors a great site................?

Yeah, that's an FT5 good buddy...

DerekC 16th August 2012 12:20 PM

I know a number of people want to see more m4/3 which is OK.
But many people have invested in 4/3 with bodies and SHG lens and we want to see Olympus support the format.
What I would like to see at Photokina is news of development of the E-5 into E-7 or what ever Number, better sensor, increased fps, better noise control, higher usable ISO, keep good features like waterproofing, strong construction, multi position screen.

Pete your comment: ("More m4/3 and less 4/3 I'm afraid.
I can't see any other path that makes sense technically. Yes. Lets put the E-M5 sensor in an E-7 and give it a light dusting of improvements, but what else is left for 4/3?")

Sorry I disagree Olympus shouldn't abandon owners of 4/3, as 4/3 does make sense all the reports say m4/3 doesn't work with my 90-250! If no development what do I do with these lens if/when I have problems with the bodies?

snaarman 16th August 2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekC (Post 182338)
Pete your comment: ("More m4/3 and less 4/3 I'm afraid.
I can't see any other path that makes sense technically. Yes. Lets put the E-M5 sensor in an E-7 and give it a light dusting of improvements, but what else is left for 4/3?")

Sorry I disagree Olympus shouldn't abandon owners of 4/3, as 4/3 does make sense all the reports say m4/3 doesn't work with my 90-250! If no development what do I do with these lens if/when I have problems with the bodies?

Yes, I feel your pain.. I haven't invested in top pro lenses but I still have an E1 with lenses to fit it. Against my better judgement I have been moving slowly towards m4/3 and if the E-M5 hadn't arrived I would not be a happy camper right now.

Pete

Graham_of_Rainham 16th August 2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaarman (Post 182323)
<snip>
I try to imagine an E650. It has a the E-M5 sensor and uses native 4/3 lenses ... but the weak point of the 620 is the small viewfinder. The obvious solution is to make it EVF. You no longer need the mirror. Now you can't use Phase Detect AF because the mini mirror has gone. <snip>
Pete

But what if there was an ultra light, ultra fast "Micro Mirror" that was just for PDAF... :cool:

snaarman 16th August 2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham (Post 182343)
But what if there was an ultra light, ultra fast "Micro Mirror" that was just for PDAF... :cool:

.. or a fixed beam splitting glass. Yes it could be done I guess. But would they do it?

Pete

timg 16th August 2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaarman (Post 182350)
.. or a fixed beam splitting glass. Yes it could be done I guess. But would they do it?

Pete

How about a weather sealed E650 with SLT mirror, large EVF but with the option to add an EM5 style 2-part grip to make it big enough for SHG glass...

Zuiko 16th August 2012 02:18 PM

I'm convinced the convergence of the two systems is a top priority for Olympus and I believe the only reason it hasn't happened yet is that they want to ensure that when they do it, they do it effectively. The Sony system works, but it's a bit Heath Robinson and not very elegant. Now that Olympus uses Sony Sensors maybe the two companies are working jointly on a sesor based PDAF solution?

A more cynical side of my nature also makes me think it is possible that they have already cracked it and are holding it back for the "Pro" OM-D. After all, they gave us more than enough extras in one go with the E-M5 and they must have some good reason to attract E-M5 adopters to upgrade!

StephenL 16th August 2012 02:26 PM

Wise words indeed. Inside information, John?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 182368)

A more cynical side of my nature also makes me think it is possible that they have already cracked it and are holding it back for the "Pro" OM-D. After all, they gave us more than enough extras in one go with the E-M5 and they must have some good reason to attract E-M5 adopters to upgrade!

Zuiko 16th August 2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenL (Post 182372)
Wise words indeed. Inside information, John?

Haha! No, I don't get inside information, but I do enjoy a bit of speculation. I would love to be right on this, partly because I know it would solve a real problem for many SHG lens owners and end much of the uncertainty, but from my point of view it would also lead to a glut of cheap, little-used E-M5's on ebay! There won't be another OM-D at photokina, though, it's too soon and it would also steal the limelight away from whatever they have in store for the Pen range.

Gwyver 16th August 2012 05:03 PM

Making the OM-D v1.2 firmware update available once again would be nice!

David Morison 16th August 2012 06:37 PM

For me it has to be an MFT SHG 300mm weatherproof prime, doesn't have to be f2.8 - f4 or even f5.6 would do the job.

David

Ulfric M Douglas 16th August 2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 182259)
What would you like to see launched by Olympus, at this year's Photokina?

Want
e-P4 : just warmed e-P3 with the new sensor but not the new stabilisation.
e-P5 : integral EVF & new sensor & stabilisation but not weathersealed.
Reasonable prices to filter down to absolute bargains in the used market two years from now.
Come to Daddy. :|

Also PDAF adapter just like the Sony one.

Oh blimey I forgot : e-630 kthx.

Graham_of_Rainham 16th August 2012 10:43 PM

Is there a prize for whoever gets the closest prediction :D

Ian 17th August 2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuiko (Post 182263)
Ian, I predict that you will have a great time, but will also keep busy by posting us the latest information - often working until late into the night.

I expect we will see a re-vamped Pen range and maybe a couple of new lenses, in particular the 60mm macro.

What I would like to see is a cheaper OM-D with non weather-resistant plastic body, but I suspect we'll see a more expensive "pro" version first - and not at Photokina.

I'm only there for three nights but will be at the show for the preview day on Monday and the first two days. Burning the late night oil is an occupational hazard for journalists covering Photokina! I'm expecting to produce more video coverage this year now that I have a laptop that doesn't take hours to process a minute of HD video!

I think it's guaranteed that the 60mm macro will be there.

Ian

Ian 17th August 2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benedict (Post 182283)
For me what I would like to see is a clear statement of future intent as regrdards the development and support to the 4/3 ethos. I am not into m4/3 and probably never will be,so before I splash my hard earned cash on existing equipmeent it would be comforting to know in general terms what the future holds in 4/3 terms and then I can decide whether to join them on the journey.

I'm very optimistic that a clarification will be forthcoming at Photokina. Remember, Olympus has always left the door open for developments centred around support for Four Thirds Zuiko Digital lens users. Olympus statements over the last two years have said that what they need is time to find the right solution and there certainly has been a lot of time. When the Pens came out a lot of people felt that was the end of the E-System but the E-5 came out 2 years ago and I am told it is still in production, if in small quantities.

Ian