Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   No more blown highlights (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46053)

Ricoh 6th September 2017 09:42 AM

No more blown highlights

Sounds good to me
Read here: https://petapixel.com/2016/03/29/exp...s-film-photos/

Simon Bee 6th September 2017 08:49 PM

Re: No more blown highlights

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoh (Post 426729)

Steve,

Kodak Portra is my 'go to' colour film, a simply amazing film which I always over expose by at least one stop, on medium format the quality is breathtaking. As much as I love the Pen-F, Portra shot on M/F is undoubtably my preferred medium. Whilst the range of films available today is no where near as wide as it once was their quality has never been better and it's a great time to shoot film. Just ordered some 'Cinestill' as I love its movie film look.

Simon

pdk42 6th September 2017 08:52 PM

Very interesting. I'd forgotten how forgiving film can be (well, reversal film that is - don't try this test with transparencies!)

Simon Bee 6th September 2017 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 426770)
Very interesting. I'd forgotten how forgiving film can be (well, reversal film that is - don't try this test with transparencies!)

Quite right Paul ..... not recommended with transparencies but reversal ( oops ... I mean 'negative' film ) can be very forgiving especially the modern emulsions, in fact they often look better overexposed.

Simon

dcbrookes 6th September 2017 09:58 PM

Quote:

Paul

Transparencies are reversal film!

David

Ricoh 6th September 2017 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Bee (Post 426769)
Steve,

Kodak Portra is my 'go to' colour film, a simply amazing film which I always over expose by at least one stop, on medium format the quality is breathtaking. As much as I love the Pen-F, Portra shot on M/F is undoubtably my preferred medium. Whilst the range of films available today is no where near as wide as it once was their quality has never been better and it's a great time to shoot film. Just ordered some 'Cinestill' as I love its movie film look.

Simon

I'm seeing some superb work produced from Porta and Cinestill, I must order some myself. And of course we have Ektachrome to look forward to but that of course needs to be exposed accurately with highlights protected, not unlike digital.
PS BEOON is now married to an El-Nikkor 50 f/2.8, should be great for copying monochrome when I have a moment or two, soon hopefully.

pdk42 7th September 2017 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcbrookes (Post 426784)
Paul

David

Yes, of course. Amazing how the memory dims...

Simon Bee 7th September 2017 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcbrookes (Post 426784)
Paul

David

Quite right David,

I slipped up on that one too, guess one should not 'post without proofing' after just coming home from a work day that started at 7.00 a.m :o

Simon

Simon Bee 7th September 2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoh (Post 426789)
I'm seeing some superb work produced from Porta and Cinestill, I must order some myself. And of course we have Ektachrome to look forward to but that of course needs to be exposed accurately with highlights protected, not unlike digital.
PS BEOON is now married to an El-Nikkor 50 f/2.8, should be great for copying monochrome when I have a moment or two, soon hopefully.

That 50 Nikkor is a great lens and I'm sure it married to the BEOON will make a great copying rig.

Portra is wonderful, no actually it's "BLOODY WONDERFUL !". All three speeds are excellent ( 160, 400 & 800 ISO ) though I find 400 the most versatile of the three. Portra for colour, Tri-X for B&W ... 'sorted' as they say, though I am looking forward to shooting the Cinestill when I get it.

Naughty Nigel 4th October 2017 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Bee (Post 426864)
Portra is wonderful, no actually it's "BLOODY WONDERFUL !". All three speeds are excellent ( 160, 400 & 800 ISO ) though I find 400 the most versatile of the three. Portra for colour, Tri-X for B&W ... 'sorted' as they say, though I am looking forward to shooting the Cinestill when I get it.

Which Portra are you using Simon?

I still have some Portra 160 NC and VC in the freezer, dated 2004 if I recall.

I haven't used Portra for a while but I wasn't that impressed when I last tried it.

I developed some myself, and found that the developer had a strong cyan colour when emptied out, to the point that I didn't want to risk using it again with other films. As expected, this resulted in a noticeable colour cast when scanned.

I also found it quite grainy, but I am willing to give it another go.

My favourite MF films are still Velvia and Provia, but I was impressed with some Kodak Ektar 100 when I tried some recently. Kodak used to make Ektar 25 negative film which was extremely contrasty, but if anything I prefer the Ektar 100.

Simon Bee 26th October 2017 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel (Post 428873)
Which Portra are you using Simon?

I still have some Portra 160 NC and VC in the freezer, dated 2004 if I recall.

I haven't used Portra for a while but I wasn't that impressed when I last tried it.

I developed some myself, and found that the developer had a strong cyan colour when emptied out, to the point that I didn't want to risk using it again with other films. As expected, this resulted in a noticeable colour cast when scanned.

I also found it quite grainy, but I am willing to give it another go.

My favourite MF films are still Velvia and Provia, but I was impressed with some Kodak Ektar 100 when I tried some recently. Kodak used to make Ektar 25 negative film which was extremely contrasty, but if anything I prefer the Ektar 100.

Hi Nigel,

Firstly apologies for not replying sooner, I have been taking a break as of late. I have been using the newer Portra and mostly the 400ASA, the VC & NC options were discontinued and a 'one size fits all' version was released which is now called just 'Portra'. Its available in 160, 400 & 800ASA, IMO all are very good but 400 is the most useful. I find it a better film than the previous VC & NC versions.

Yes Ektar 100 is truly superb if exposed correctly ( little latitude for error ), I also shot Ektar 25 many years ago and in a controlled environment ( studio ) it was simply unbeatable.

I have 'a thing' for Cinestill at the moment, another film with a unique look especially when I use my Nikkor 58mm F1.4G .

Kind regards,
Simon

Ian 26th October 2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

You mean colour neg. I think :) Reversal (transparency) film is very critical on exposure with regard to highlights. Colour neg has always been very forgiving so it's not really a unique feature of Kodak Portra.

Ian

Ricoh 26th October 2017 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Bee (Post 430764)
Hi Nigel,

Firstly apologies for not replying sooner, I have been taking a break as of late. I have been using the newer Portra and mostly the 400ASA, the VC & NC options were discontinued and a 'one size fits all' version was released which is now called just 'Portra'. Its available in 160, 400 & 800ASA, IMO all are very good but 400 is the most useful. I find it a better film than the previous VC & NC versions.

Yes Ektar 100 is truly superb if exposed correctly ( little latitude for error ), I also shot Ektar 25 many years ago and in a controlled environment ( studio ) it was simply unbeatable.

I have 'a thing' for Cinestill at the moment, another film with a unique look especially when I use my Nikkor 58mm F1.4G .

Kind regards,
Simon

Hi Simon, glad to see you're sticking with chemicals rather solid state physics. Long live alchemy!!