Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   The lounge (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Scilly Isle (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49014)

sapper 17th October 2018 03:37 PM

Scilly Isle
 
Trying to book a holiday in Isle of Scilly for next year. Ferry company want full payment when I book.
Question, anyone been there and how long before your holiday did you book the ferry? I don't want to pay loads of money that will sit in the ferry companies bank account for 11 months.

MJ224 17th October 2018 03:54 PM

Re: Scilly Isle
 
One of my favourite holiday spots, but alas I take my own ferry over.....

All I am sure of is that the ferry is the most economical way to get there, chopper from Newquay is very expensive..

Where are you staying??

Walti 17th October 2018 04:25 PM

Re: Scilly Isle
 
Yup we found that the ferry was pay when booked! The flights look good as well!

We spent a week over there last year and were thoroughly impressed with the place.

The ferry crossing was great both ways for us and we were able to take whatever luggage we wanted - the flights seem more limited.

The ferry is a flat bottomed boat to allow it into the shallow harbour which means if you’re unlucky with the weather you have an unpleasant time.

Jim Ford 17th October 2018 05:03 PM

Re: Scilly Isle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ224 (Post 460219)
One of my favourite holiday spots, but alas I take my own ferry over.....

All I am sure of is that the ferry is the most economical way to get there, chopper from Newquay is very expensive..

I thought that they'd stopped helicopter flights a year or so ago.

A friend of mine that went there a few years ago said that the locals stated that people going there by ferry often return by helicopter, because the sea voyage can be so rough and unpleasant!

Jim

Greytop 17th October 2018 05:34 PM

Re: Scilly Isle
 
The British International helicopter service from Penzance stopped in November 2012 just after we used the service that August british-international helicopters to close penzance to isles of scilly service

Good news appears to be on the horizon though for 2020 https://penzanceheliport.co.uk/

sapper 17th October 2018 05:37 PM

Re: Scilly Isle
 
So...how soon did you folk book in advance?

Rebecca 17th October 2018 06:48 PM

Re: Scilly Isle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapper (Post 460233)
So...how soon did you folk book in advance?

Why not contact the company and inquire how busy the ferry usually is on your proposed date of travel and what would be the latest date they recommend to ensure a booking. ?

Just a suggestion. :)

Rebecca

TimP 17th October 2018 06:57 PM

Re: Scilly Isle
 
Is it worth the risk? Assuming you’ve booked accommodation and possibly other stuff then it seems daft to risk that simply because you don’t want the ferry company to have your money for up to a year? It’s not like you can earn any interest on it anyway!

Naughty Nigel 17th October 2018 07:20 PM

Re: Scilly Isle
 
Advance payment is standard practice with any ferry operator or airline for that matter. You may get a refundable ticket if you pay more or just take the chance.

MJ224 17th October 2018 07:51 PM

Re: Scilly Isle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ford (Post 460230)
I thought that they'd stopped helicopter flights a year or so ago.

A friend of mine that went there a few years ago said that the locals stated that people going there by ferry often return by helicopter, because the sea voyage can be so rough and unpleasant!

Jim

Yes the Penzance flights finished as you say. But they come from Newquay now, but maybe only on organised trips, ie to a specific hotel. Certainly saw and heard them in 2016 when I was last there.

However, they are supremely beautiful, and I have sailed there quite a few times, only once on the ferry in 1968! Well worth a holiday. Look forward seeing Dave's photos from there...

Phill D 18th October 2018 08:13 AM

Re: Scilly Isle
 
Yes I've often wondered about going there. Terrible sailor though so the ferry definitely puts me off.

sapper 18th October 2018 12:27 PM

Re: Scilly Isle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimP (Post 460236)
Is it worth the risk? Assuming youíve booked accommodation and possibly other stuff then it seems daft to risk that simply because you donít want the ferry company to have your money for up to a year? Itís not like you can earn any interest on it anyway!

Trouble is, the b& B want their share, the holiday in Penzance want their share and it all adds up. £440 on top of that is quite a chunk so I will give it a month then book, hoping the prices have stayed the same.

TimP 18th October 2018 01:03 PM

Re: Scilly Isle
 
Wow, does the ferry cost £440?? How long is the crossing fercryingoutloud? Poole to Cherbourg isn’t anything like that and it’s a decent boat, not just a vomitorium!

Saying that, we have to book air fares a year in advance (11 months actually as flights aren’t bookable before it seems) so for specific dates etc we often have that sort of money and more ‘invested’!

sapper 18th October 2018 01:38 PM

Re: Scilly Isle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimP (Post 460289)
Wow, does the ferry cost £440?? How long is the crossing fercryingoutloud? Poole to Cherbourg isnít anything like that and itís a decent boat, not just a vomitorium!

Saying that, we have to book air fares a year in advance (11 months actually as flights arenít bookable before it seems) so for specific dates etc we often have that sort of money and more Ďinvestedí!

Sorry, £220.00. 2 adults return. The boat is flat bottomed so the crossing could be unpleasant if the sea is choppy.

Jim Ford 18th October 2018 01:43 PM

Re: Scilly Isle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapper (Post 460294)
The boat is flat bottomed so the crossing could be unpleasant if the sea is choppy.

What, is it a inflatable dingy like the refugees use in the Mediterranean?

;)

Jim


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:48 AM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger