Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Legacy Lenses (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Leica Elmar-r 100mm (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43985)

ludwig 1st February 2017 12:05 PM

Re: Leica Elmar-r 100mm

AFAIK, I'm up to date with flash etc - and I've tried opening the youtube link in other browsers, and all look very strange - too quick, and lowish resolution (by todays standards anyway) - I think the footage is 480p - but I'm viewing on a high resolution monitor - so it's maybe showing up the shortcomings of the footage more than otherwise might happen. The video says it's a "time lapse" - so maybe the basic frame rate of the movie is quite low - like time lapse kind of is - but because of that, the footage when played back at a usual rate, seems sped up - certainly it feels much more normal when played at half speed.

Harold Gough 1st February 2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludwig (Post 405618)
AFAIK, I'm up to date with flash etc - and I've tried opening the youtube link in other browsers, and all look very strange - too quick, and lowish resolution (by todays standards anyway) - I think the footage is 480p - but I'm viewing on a high resolution monitor - so it's maybe showing up the shortcomings of the footage more than otherwise might happen. The video says it's a "time lapse" - so maybe the basic frame rate of the movie is quite low - like time lapse kind of is - but because of that, the footage when played back at a usual rate, seems sped up - certainly it feels much more normal when played at half speed.

My screen is currently 1920 x 1080 and I view via Google Chrome.

Harold

ludwig 1st February 2017 04:08 PM

Mine is 2560 x 1440 - so a bit higher res.
It tends to be quite unforgiving with low res images etc, as run of the mill web page images end up looking quite pixelated as they're stretched to fit the larger screen size...
So - 480p doesn't look that great...

Harold Gough 1st February 2017 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludwig (Post 405640)
Mine is 2560 x 1440 - so a bit higher res.
It tends to be quite unforgiving with low res images etc, as run of the mill web page images end up looking quite pixelated as they're stretched to fit the larger screen size...
So - 480p doesn't look that great...

Would it be worth reducing it for this purpose (in Settings)?

Harold

ludwig 1st February 2017 04:49 PM

Not sure - it is what it is though. It's helping in some respects - as in the lens looks similar to mine - so similar method may be applied - but the footage is only so handy, as it isn't a complete walkthrough of what's being done and why.

I mean - I could jump in with two feet, attack any ring with notches and get them loosened off - but is there an issue that may require me to get out the Vernier gauge like the guy in the video does?
And if so, what do I do with it?

ludwig 2nd February 2017 11:26 AM

Well, I've only just fixed it!!!

So - it turns out that when the name ring is loosened, indeed the area with the notches immediately underneath - that is a locking ring which secures the focussing mechanism - ie it enables the lens to focus when it turns - it was a b**ger to loosen but I referred back to the german site which said that this ring is only hand tight. I failed to believe that to begin with, but when I absently tried to turn it, it finally went. What followed was a lot of trying things out - when the locking ring is loose, the barrell will turn, but it won't focus as though the helicoid turns, the lenses don't change postition - when the locking ring is tightened, then the lenses move - So - I've now got infinity focus!!!

Harold Gough 2nd February 2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludwig (Post 405723)
Well, I've only just fixed it!!!

So - it turns out that when the name ring is loosened, indeed the area with the notches immediately underneath - that is a locking ring which secures the focussing mechanism - ie it enables the lens to focus when it turns - it was a b**ger to loosen but I referred back to the german site which said that this ring is only hand tight. I failed to believe that to begin with, but when I absently tried to turn it, it finally went. What followed was a lot of trying things out - when the locking ring is loose, the barrell will turn, but it won't focus as though the helicoid turns, the lenses don't change postition - when the locking ring is tightened, then the lenses move - So - I've now got infinity focus!!!

Brilliant! Amazing what you can do when you have courage. Give this man a medal!

Isn't it rewarding, in the end? I'm so pleased for you.

Harold

ludwig 2nd February 2017 12:03 PM

Very rewarding. And in theory I'm up 120 if you think I'd have had to send it to get fixed. Really - if you know what you are doing, that could have been 120 for all of 5 mins work...

Harold Gough 2nd February 2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludwig (Post 405726)
Very rewarding. And in theory I'm up 120 if you think I'd have had to send it to get fixed. Really - if you know what you are doing, that could have been 120 for all of 5 mins work...

Thinking of turning pro? Easy money! *chr

Harold