Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Legacy Lenses (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Leica Elmar-r 100mm (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43985)

peak4 14th January 2017 04:53 PM

Re: Leica Elmar-r 100mm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludwig (Post 403894)
In Scotland...

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Bit far to travel to Sheffield or Buxton then; just a thought.

ludwig 14th January 2017 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludwig (Post 403894)
In Scotland...

Near Glasgow.
Quote:

Originally Posted by peak4 (Post 403893)
Micrometer or caliper (be it digital or vernier) doesn't matter, so long as you know how to read it. ;)

Where in the country are you?

ludwig 14th January 2017 06:51 PM

Ok so, I managed to get hold of some electronic calipers.

27.75mm is the depth of the adaptor. I'm not sure what that's means yet - will need to look back a few posts...

peak4 14th January 2017 07:57 PM

If the figures I came up with are correct, that looks to be the correct length, so struggling for an answer now.
Sorry Ludwig.

Harold Gough 14th January 2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludwig (Post 403912)
Ok so, I managed to get hold of some electronic calipers.

27.75mm is the depth of the adaptor. I'm not sure what that's means yet - will need to look back a few posts...

I would say that there lies your problem. My Leica-R to m4/3 adaptor measures, within the limits of my ruler, exactly 27.0mm.

Harold

ludwig 14th January 2017 08:23 PM

Harold what make of adaptor are you using?

peak4 14th January 2017 08:44 PM

There's a fairly good explanation HERE but every set of data I can find suggests that 47 - 19.25 = 27.75mm should be correct.
Anyone else have one to measure?

Harold Gough 14th January 2017 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludwig (Post 403937)
Harold what make of adaptor are you using?

It has the initials RJ on it which suggest it was from RJ Cameras (several years ago).

Harold

Harold Gough 14th January 2017 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peak4 (Post 403945)
There's a fairly good explanation HERE but every set of data I can find suggests that 47 - 19.25 = 27.75mm should be correct.
Anyone else have one to measure?

I don't know why but there are two flange to sensor distances in wide circulation for m4/3, 19.25 and 20mm. They can't both be correct.

Harold

ludwig 14th January 2017 09:33 PM

Weird thing is that the adaptor is actually really well made. Probably the best cheapie I've tried. But it's no use if it's not the right size...

peak4 14th January 2017 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Gough (Post 403947)
I don't know why but there are two flange to sensor distances in wide circulation for m4/3, 19.25 and 20mm. They can't both be correct.

Harold

Cheers Harold, I'd only seen the 19.25mm one. That could certainly explain the issue that Ludwig's been having.
However, I've also only ever seen 38.67mm as the register distance for full size 4/3s.
I've just measured my official MMF-3 mFT-FT adaptor, which comes out at 19.37mm; the difference between them is 19.3mm, which kind of supports the mFT register distance of 19.25mm.

Regardless of all this number churning, it does look like Ludwig's adaptor is a shade too long.

Fortunately I've got a lathe at my disposal, so in my case, since the adaptors are reasonably inexpensive, I think I'd shave a touch off the body of the adaptor, behind the R mount, and try and get it set up such that the infinity stop actually works at infinity focus, rather than a bit beyond it. If you take a bit too much off, then it could easily be shimmed out a touch.
All this is hypothetical of course as I have neither the mount or a Leica lens.

I have done this sort of thing to adapt an old Tokina lens to a night vision photo multiplier tube, but I guess this diversion isn't helping Ludwig much.

ludwig 14th January 2017 09:54 PM

So these adaptors, are they just a "suck it and see" type of thing?
I'm gutted this adaptor doesn't work given how well made it seems to be.
But likewise, I can't really spend a ton of dosh on a new adaptor that will def work - it needs to be a cheapie as I'm not even sure if I'll use this lens that much - only reason I got it was it was a fantastic deal and figured it must be worth a shot...

Otto 15th January 2017 10:43 AM

I don't know what you regard as a "cheapie" but these people are reliable and offer good customer service:

http://srb-photographic.co.uk/micro-...ors-1175-c.asp

They can probably advise on the correct length of the adaptor.

ludwig 15th January 2017 11:04 AM

Some more research required I think.

ludwig 17th January 2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Gough (Post 403947)

Harold

I sent Kent Faith an email about this pointing out that I'd measured the flange to be 27.75mm
This issue throws up a few questions, which I hoped they'd answer.
They didn't.

The questions I asked them are as follows.

1) Do your adpators definitely work? Ie are they actually tested with the equipment they are intended to be used on?
2) Or could this adaptor I have purchased be from a batch of adaptors that were not intended for sale (I noted that your website does not sell this adaptor, even though the above mentioned Amazon vendor does)?
3) Or, could this be a counterfeit adaptor?

Kent Faith responded very vaguely (maybe a language barrier).

"we just check the adapter you purchased,all are good!"

So - not much of an answer - they then said - send us the adaptor back.
Given that the adaptor cost me a tenner all in, I'm a bit reluctant to send it back, only to get a replacement that is exactly the same.
10 isn't a lot, but I want to know if the vendor has sold the adaptor under false pretences - ie given how well the thing seems to be made, why would the flange distance be out therefor nullifying any potential to focus to infinity.

Am I missing something? This lens should focus to infinity right?

I don't suppose anyone on here has an adaptor they'd lend me to test this lens with? In return I could send my dodgy one to test with at their end?
Maybe that's a pointless exercise - I'm not sure - this lens of mine seems to be mechanically sound - it's maybe a solid 8 out of 10 in terms of condition...