Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Converters, adapters and extension tubes (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   How Big is the MC-14? (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47485)

Olybirder 20th March 2018 04:26 PM

How Big is the MC-14?

Could anybody please tell me how much the MC-14 adds to the overall length of a camera and lens? I believe the dimensions of the converter are 59.9mm x 14.7mm but I don't know if 14.7mm includes the 'hump' which fits into the lens. I would like to know the thickness of the converter at its outer edge.

The reason I am asking is that I carry my E-M1 II and 300mm f4 in a holster case and am not sure if it would still fit with an MC-14 attached. Hoping somebody can help.

Ron

Gwyver 20th March 2018 04:37 PM

Re: How Big is the MC-14?

Ron
The 14.7mm dimension is from mounting - face to mounting face (i.e. the overall length increase when mounted on lens & camera). This dimension excludes the internal hump which protrudes approx 6mm into the lens.
HTH

Olybirder 20th March 2018 04:44 PM

Thanks Chris, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I think that extra length could probably be accommodated by my camera case.

While on the subject of the MC-14, I see that there were several problems reported by users, such as screws loosening or falling out and the sealing rubber becoming dislodged. Are people still having these problems or have Olympus now improved the quality control for this item?

Ron

DavyG 20th March 2018 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olybirder (Post 443174)
While on the subject of the MC-14, I see that there were several problems reported by users, such as screws loosening or falling out and the sealing rubber becoming dislodged. Are people still having these problems or have Olympus now improved the quality control for this item?

Ron

I think these were isolated cases Ron.

I've had my MC-14 since the 40-150mm Pro was introduced and my wife has had hers for around two years, both have been used a lot and neither has had a problem.

I check the screws regularly and have yet to find one loose.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Walti 20th March 2018 05:31 PM

Ron, I've had the screws work loose a couple of times, the first symptom is a small amount of movement of the whole thing on the camera, easily spotted and corrected! (certainly not worth stressing about).

I think my bad habit of holding the camera with the whole weight hanging off the most exacerbates the issue - more careful people would probably have less of an issue.

wornish 20th March 2018 05:44 PM

I have the MC-14 attached to my 300mm most of time. Not had a single issue in the last year.

Olybirder 20th March 2018 05:54 PM

Thanks for your feedback on the MC-14. That is very reassuring. I found a video by Daniel J. Cox where he complained that he had had two MC-14s fail in three months, one while on safari. He really laid into Olympus, more or less saying that they were not capable of producing professional quality products - unlike Panasonic. It sounded rather strange to me. I would rather hear feedback from 'normal' users. ;)

Ron

Greytop 20th March 2018 06:14 PM

No issues with mine Ron, I've also had mine since I purchased my 40-150 in late 2014.

Gwyver 20th March 2018 07:08 PM

Ron,
No problems with mine, which Iíve had since they first shipped in 2014.
It looks like a solidly made piece of kit.

cliff 20th March 2018 07:32 PM

Mine has been fine for over 2 years, got it with the 40-150 it's a solid bit of kit kept in a Lowepro AW70 TOPLOADER.

It will fit snugly in a Lowepro AW 75 TOPLOADER ii on the 300 f4 and the em1 mkii with grip I was so impressed with it that I bought a (Gray import) second one to pair with the 300.

Bengeo 20th March 2018 08:34 PM

I've had mine since it was introduced and it's been fine. The only thing I have noticed is that it gave a bit of front focus with the 300/4 and needed a +5 AF adjustment.

bassman 20th March 2018 09:39 PM

Purchased mine around June 2016 , it's virtually a permanent fixture on my 40-150mm.
Really solid built, had no problems at all and extremely happy with image quality. I did an AF adjustment with my lens + MC-14 combination, works really well and seems even better, now we have the s-af point !

Mark

drmarkf 20th March 2018 10:39 PM

Yes, used mine a lot on 40-150 since 2014, and additionally for the past year on the 300, with a lot of removal and replacement and without any problems I’m aware of.

It was cleaned and serviced yesterday, so there’s no point in checking if the screws are loose now!

Ross the fiddler 21st March 2018 12:51 AM

Mine has been good too. I think the best value in buying it was with 40-150 Pro lens though.

*chr

Wee man 21st March 2018 07:48 AM

Have mine since they came out, use it with my 40 - 150 and it is put on /off regularly with no problems. I had it checked at the show so all well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk