Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olympus OM-D E-M1 (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   EM-1 Shutter sticking closed (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47341)

Tractorboy 2nd March 2018 03:55 PM

EM-1 Shutter sticking closed

I went out today with an aim to take some photos in the snow, ambient temperature was around -5C, so within the limits of the camera, not much wind so windchill probably not an issue.

I took a few shots, and on the third shot, the screen remained black. I was getting information on the screen, but no image from the sensor.
I took the lens off to find that the shutter curtain was still covering the sensor.
I tried turning on and off a few times, but was not able to rest the shutter to its natural position.

When I got home, I played again, and eventually the shutter has released and all seems fine. I am wondering if this is temperature related, as the camera had obviously warmed up a bit when I was playing with it at home.

The same happened to me a while ago, when the temperature was around 0C but I managed to rectify it by turning on and off and pressing the shutter a few times.
When the shutter is stuck in this manner, I can still take photos, but obviously it is very hard to set up shutter speed/exposure.

Is this an issue that I can rectify easily, or will I need to send the camera back to Olympus for repair.
My camera is still under warranty, so sending it for repair is not a problem, but I would rather not waste time unnecessarily.

Thank you

Bassman51 3rd March 2018 01:31 AM

Re: EM-1 Shutter sticking closed

About a year ago I had to have Olympus replace the shutter when I had this problem. It seemed more severe in coldmwhether.

Mine was out of warranty, so I would act now while you're covered.

E1derful 3rd March 2018 04:14 PM

Mine behaves the same. I have to change the shutter lag from normal to short, which seems to rectify the issue.

MikeOxon 3rd March 2018 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tractorboy (Post 441626)
My camera is still under warranty, so sending it for repair is not a problem, but I would rather not waste time unnecessarily.

I'd get it repaired under warranty. My E-M1 shutter failed and was collected from me and replaced by Olympus (Portugal) in exactly 2 weeks

crimbo 17th November 2018 07:34 PM

Out on on job tonight ... it was warm
Shutter jammed shut and there is no response or information from the camera
Is there a reset procedure or is it dead?
ta

alfbranch 17th November 2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crimbo (Post 463089)
Out on on job tonight ... it was warm
Shutter jammed shut and there is no response or information from the camera
Is there a reset procedure or is it dead?
ta

Quite likely a failed shutter its what happened to mine at about 125,000 actuations under 100 replaced. If it is under warranty it will be free.

crimbo 17th November 2018 08:35 PM

Thanks
Cannot see the number of actuations but it will be high

Will contact Oly tomorrow

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bikie John 18th November 2018 11:22 AM

Possibly stating the obvious, but have you tried taking the battery out and putting it back in? It might clear it - doesn't mean there isn't problem of course, but it might get you back on the road.

John

crimbo 18th November 2018 11:27 AM

Thanks John
Did That overnight ... not a flicker out of it

Bikie John 18th November 2018 04:10 PM

Oh dear, sounds like it needs to go to the doctor. Good luck.

John

MikeOxon 18th November 2018 04:40 PM

It happened to my E-M1 just before the end of its Warranty. Olympus (Portugal) returned it looking (and working) like new, so I traded it in for an E-M1 Mk.ii.

crimbo 6th December 2018 07:50 AM

well... it went to Portugal and it is not comming back

No... I have a brand new body!

Olympus did not have the parts

Bikie John 6th December 2018 09:16 AM

Glad you are sorted, but it's a bit worrying if they don't have parts so soon. I would have thought they will run out of new bodies far sooner if they keep just replacing them!

John

crimbo 6th December 2018 09:20 AM

When was the mk 1 last manufactured?
Under European rules they should have a way of repairing /replacing for 7 years ... but costs could rise