Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Camera conference (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   PEN E-PL9 Announced (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47158)

Invicta 7th February 2018 07:41 PM

PEN E-PL9 Announced

Quote:

Olympus PEN E-PL9 Announced - Olympus has announced the latest update in the PEN range, the E-PL9 which now records 4K video, and has built-in Bluetooth.
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/o...nnounced-31926

Hands on review

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/o...n-review-31928

pdk42 7th February 2018 08:01 PM

Re: PEN E-PL9 Announced

Yawn.........

Internaut 7th February 2018 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 439284)
Yawn.........

That was my response, over on DPR. There are just too many better cameras (notably the Panasonic GX80) that can be had for less than this new/old design.

pdk42 8th February 2018 12:05 AM

I know I'm not the target market for this camera and that I therefore shouldn't have an opinion or complain, but... as an Olympus fan this camera saddens me. It's nothing that couldn't have been released in 2012. Same old 16Mp sensor, inferior IBIS (3-axis) to the 2012 E-M5, no EVF option and dumbed down features stolen from the E-M10iii copybook. If it were cheap I'd perhaps forgive it, but this is 550 body-only!

For that price (or lower) there are several better cameras from Panasonic, Fuji and Sony. With either of the latter two you'd be getting a 24Mp APSC sensor. If this camera had the 20Mp sensor and the same IBIS as the E-M10ii then at least it would be competitive.

As Donald Trump would say - "sad"!

Ross the fiddler 8th February 2018 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 439294)
I know I'm not the target market for this camera and that I therefore shouldn't have an opinion or complain, but... as an Olympus fan this camera saddens me. It's nothing that couldn't have been released in 2012. Same old 16Mp sensor, inferior IBIS (3-axis) to the 2012 E-M5, no EVF option and dumbed down features stolen from the E-M10iii copybook. If it were cheap I'd perhaps forgive it, but this is 550 body-only!

For that price (or lower) there are several better cameras from Panasonic, Fuji and Sony. With either of the latter two you'd be getting a 24Mp APSC sensor. If this camera had the 20Mp sensor and the same IBIS as the E-M10ii then at least it would be competitive.

As Donald Trump would say - "sad"!

But is it the "same old sensor"? I believe an updated 16Mp sensor was released at the same time as the 20Mp sensor was & since this camera does 4K video then wouldn't that need to have a faster readout than the original?

No, Trump would say "Fake news!" :)

AMc 8th February 2018 09:20 AM

It's baffling to me - if you want 4K video the E-M10 Mkiii is surely a much better bet for not much more. If you don't then the E-M10 Mkii or the E-PL8 are much better value.

E-M10 Mkiii + 14-42mm EZ (699)
E-PL9 + 14-42mm EZ (649)
E-M10 Mkii + 14-42mm EZ (549)
E-PL8 + 14-42mm EZ (449)

[Wex prices]

pdk42 8th February 2018 10:16 AM

If you don't need 4k video then the E-M10ii is undoubtedly the best option. It's better built than the mark iii and isn't hobbled by dumbed down firmware. It's also got equal or more features (4k aside) than any of the others but is cheaper. Olympus seems to be going backwards!

pdk42 8th February 2018 10:18 AM

And, again 4k aside, the new EPL9 is 200 more than the E-PL8 but seems to offer less.

Ross the fiddler 8th February 2018 10:31 AM

I just looked up the Sony products (camera sensors) & the 16Mp is listed the same IMX159 as I copied back in 2015, so it would appear to be the 'same old sensor'.

AMc 8th February 2018 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 439317)
If you don't need 4k video then the E-M10ii is undoubtedly the best option. It's better built than the mark iii and isn't hobbled by dumbed down firmware. It's also got equal or more features (4k aside) than any of the others but is cheaper. Olympus seems to be going backwards!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdk42 (Post 439318)
And, again 4k aside, the new EPL9 is 200 more than the E-PL8 but seems to offer less.

Yup - I just bought a user EM-10 MKii :)

I read somewhere that the newest 10 and PL8 have sweep panorama - one thing I miss from my Fuji compact but a glance at the 10 manual puts the lie to that and the PL9 manual isn't on the Olympus site yet.

OM USer 9th February 2018 05:43 PM

I've just read Robin Wong's review on the E-PL9 hosted on Ming Thein's blog:
https://blog.mingthein.com/2018/02/0...olympus-e-pl9/

and the Olympus press release
https://www.olympus.co.uk/company/me...lease-emea.pdf

and some other reviews and comments (mentioning no sites in particular) and I have come to the conclusion, as have many others here, that this camera is not for me. In particular it does not have a socket for an VF-4 EVF, only has 3-axis stabilisation, and offers a more simplified menu than the other cameras in the Olympus line up - old and new. But as a product for people upgrading from a camera phone (the target audience) it offers a lot of additional flexibility and an increase in image quality in a compact size. The Japanese market is thriving on this sort of stuff apparently and Olympus is top dog.

I think the mistake, and where it is offending die hard Olympus MFT enthusiasts, is not in the product or even the price but in the naming. It is not a successor to the E-PL8. It is the first in a new line of quality consumer oriented cameras and has the potential of selling well in the intended market. Well done Olympus.

Back to the VF-4 and the problem of no EVF. Perhaps the intended market does not include people who wear reading glasses. Even at arms length I can not focus on the screen of my E-PM2. That is not really a problem for the way I use it. I can see that the camera is pointing at the thing I want to photograph, I can see if it is all in the frame, and I rely on autofocus. If I want to check to check the focus, exposure, or set other parameters then I clip the EVF on or fumble for a pair of cheap high dioptre reading glasses.

For people who want an EVF and 5 axis stabilisation (like me) there is always the PEN-F. Maybe a slightly cheaper version of the PEN-F (PEN-F Lite?) with a 16MP sensor is what most people wanted instead of the PEN E-PL9 that we got... and the E-PL9 to have been called something else like PEN E-PX1 or E-P0 to distance it from the existing E-Pn, E-PLn, and E-PMn lines that are no longer going anywhere (the E-Pn and E-PLn replaced by the PEN-F and the E-PMn long dead). Olympus should communicate a clearer strategy on camera ranges; existing lines (E-PLn and OM10) should not come out with newer models that are more crippled than the one they replace and where there is a gap in the market for newer models with reduced specifications these should start new lines that can once again be incrementally improved.

pdk42 9th February 2018 06:15 PM

Robin Wong discovered that you can't assign ISO control to any button or dial. Complete dud in my opinion.

I hope that there's a market for this sort of thing in Japan, because I can't see it being too relevant anywhere else. Anyone with pretensions to being a photographer will shun it, but in truth for someone used to smartphones it offers way too many hurdles if all you want to do is post pictures of your muffin and latte onto Instagram. An iPhone 10 will do that job much much better for not a lot more and you'll get a versatile handheld computer and phone for free.

George Dorn 11th February 2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OM USer (Post 439452)
...Back to the VF-4 and the problem of no EVF. Perhaps the intended market does not include people who wear reading glasses. Even at arms length I can not focus on the screen of my E-PM2.

A reverse selfie stick might help here?

Greytop 11th February 2018 05:44 PM

Not at all interested in the E-PL9.
My choice would be a grey E-M5 MkII from HDEW Cameras @499 including their 3 year warranty. Bargain!

pdk42 12th February 2018 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greytop (Post 439587)
Not at all interested in the E-PL9.
My choice would be a grey E-M5 MkII from HDEW Cameras @499 including their 3 year warranty. Bargain!

Yea - the E-M5ii is a beauty!