Olympus UK E-System User Group

Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php)
-   Software (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Nvidia - fix grainy photos with AI (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48576)

wornish 15th August 2018 06:53 AM

Nvidia - fix grainy photos with AI

Amazing what can be done using AI.

Phill D 15th August 2018 08:00 AM

Re: Nvidia - fix grainy photos with AI

Wow that is seriously impressive. Wonder when it will be available?

mik 15th August 2018 08:36 AM

Still not convinced it will retain feather detail, i must say looking at some of the results you can still see NR reduction no matter what you want to call it.

Graham_of_Rainham 15th August 2018 08:50 AM

While there is no substitute for original image quality, post production is becoming increasingly popular to make pictures look better.

But as with many things, it’s subjective and when overdone can render images that have a “computer generated” look (which is virtually what they are).

This then begs the question of what is the point of having kit info associated with the image when put on display in exhibitions...

wornish 15th August 2018 09:32 AM

Many professional photographers make significant income by offering post processing courses.

Ricoh 15th August 2018 09:40 AM

I suspect I'm being baited here. ;)

I read the title and thought I was going to watch a video about film photography, ie talking about grain.

IMO grain is nice, I like seeing the random imperfections and choose film appropriately.

Wally 15th August 2018 11:02 AM

This is something that will no doubt be used and abused to an extent that will render it more of a curse than an asset. The second clip of the library and Earnest Borgnine shows just how much of reality becomes fiction.

shenstone 15th August 2018 08:42 PM

I've always laughed at those "Science faction" programs where they take some useless image and reconstruct whole parts of images and render something that can be used to "solve the crime" etc.

It seems I may have to stop laughing

Did you see the other one on their research page

Jim Ford 15th August 2018 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricoh (Post 454444)
IMO grain is nice, I like seeing the random imperfections and choose film appropriately.

Best of all is when you get a piece of grit in the opening of the film cassette, and you get a nice long scratch the length of the film. Water marks and dust on the negs are also nice!

;)

Jim

wornish 15th August 2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenstone (Post 454523)
I've always laughed at those "Science faction" programs where they take some useless image and reconstruct whole parts of images and render something that can be used to "solve the crime" etc.

It seems I may have to stop laughing

Did you see the other one on their research page

One of the comments on this on the YouTube version says "So when is a picture real or a fake"

The answer is who knows.

shenstone 15th August 2018 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wornish (Post 454530)
One of the comments on this on the YouTube version says "So when is a picture real or a fake"

The answer is who knows.

True enough and as I always remind people who say things like a photograph never lies. ... They almost always have done... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottingley_Fairies

Regards
Andy

Graham_of_Rainham 17th August 2018 05:58 AM

One of my many “pet hates” is when they reconstruct the villains face from the reflection in the hub cap of a passing car...

BreezeG 19th August 2018 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham (Post 454719)
One of my many “pet hates” is when they reconstruct the villains face from the reflection in the hub cap of a passing car...

Haha my pet hate is the sound the computer has to makes as it goes through stages of zoom and de-pixelates the image. I cant seem to get these sort of sounds in photoshop and lightroom....its so frustrating.